Leffe Blonde

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THE DRUNK ARAB

Zen Arcade
Reaction score
Got the Leffe Blonde clone down on Wednesday night. From planning to brewing it only took eleven months :blink:

A report will definately follow but it's fermenting nicely at the moment.

FLY-BLOWN BELGIAN

All Grain
Batch Size 24L
Boil Volume 29L
I lose 2 litres to deadspace and trub in my boiler.
Efficiency 75.0%

Estimated OG 1065
Estimated bitterness 27IBU
Estimated Colour 7SRM

5.7 kg Pilsner Malt
.45 kg Munich Malt
.15 kg Caraamber
.10 kg Melanoidin Malt
.30kg Cane sugar

38g Styrian Goldings 5.5%AA (60 min)
20g Saaz 3.5% (15 min)

Wyeast 1762 Abbey Ale 2

C&B
TDA

sounds good but the OG seems a bit low

Leffe Blonde is a strong beer from memory its around 8%+

but yours shouild still turn out good and tasty as all*home made beer does.

*maybe not all but most of it

Nah, both the Blonde and the Brune are only about 6.something%. The others are over 8 though. :)

Looks good TDA, another addition to the 'beers I must brew' list. -_-

That recipe looks perfect TDA. Can't wait for the tasting report! I've been thinking about getting that yeast....

I love the play on words with "Fly Blown" :lol:

- Snow

How's that 'Fly Blown' going TDA? Are we out of the fermenter?

Goat said:
How's that 'Fly Blown' going TDA? Are we out of the fermenter?
Goat, had a "sample" last night, gravity was 1019, it still has a few points to drop before I put it in secondary. On the sample, well I reckon I'm onto a winner here :lol: !
It is definately lighter in colour than the original and the esters are very restrained which is how the yeast I used is supposed to act.

Further updates to follow.

C&B
TDA

Sounds good - I'm tossing up between a copy of that and and Skunk Fart for the weekend..... might have to be a Blonde

I've got Wyeasts 3837 and 1388 - that's the tough part... the latter is probably the most appropriate.

How did this turn out TDA ?

Beers,
Doc

From personal taste experience on 3 occassions I can say Doc it is very close to the original.

The bottle Pedro and I "evaluated" recently had percievable diacetyl but I had not noticed any in the previous 2 bottles. I am very diacetyl sensitive [I loath it]

The malt, aroma and hops were so close to the original we were forced to open another "original" just to be certain. :)

Steve.

Doc said:
How did this turn out TDA ?

Beers,
Doc
I am yet to do a comparison on the Leffe Blonde but as far as I can remember it is similar yet different. I will get a Leffe to do a taste test with and post back.
As chiller stated, I certainly haven't noticed any diaceytl with the ones I have tasted but the bottle he and Pedro sampled had some (apparently).

It still a lovely drop however B)

C&B
TDA

Hi all

It's worth noting the commerical sample had diacetyl as well, so TDA was true to style :)

Cheers
Pedro

Alrighty, looking to do this brew for the QLD Xmas case.
Doing an order through G&G tommorrow.
What do you think about the Belgian Candy Sugar?
Clear or amber?

Hoops

Hoops said:
Alrighty, looking to do this brew for the QLD Xmas case.
Doing an order through G&G tommorrow.
What do you think about the Belgian Candy Sugar?
Clear or amber?

Hoops
[post="64456"][/post]​

I'd go the clear for the Leffe Blonde.
But I'd order both. I had both on hand and ended up using the Amber in my Bier de Garde this week due to some efficiency problems on that beer.
Always handy to have in stock.

Beers,
Doc

Just mashing in now, so will see how it goes in a few weeks.
This is the test run for the Xmas case so if it turns out good and the keg goes quickly I will do it again soon for the Xmas case.

Hoops

Hoops said:
This is the test run for the Xmas case so if it turns out good and the keg goes quickly I will do it again soon for the Xmas case.

Hoops
[post="65876"][/post]​

Looking forward to your report Hoops.

I have to brew this again.

C&B
TDA

THE DRUNK ARAB said:
Hoops said:

Hoops
[post="65876"][/post]​

Looking forward to your report Hoops.

I have to brew this again.

C&B
TDA
[post="65993"][/post]​

Yes you do!!

Hoops, it is a very tasty drop. It does have a very subtle leg disabling effect that you don't see coming.

Steve

How did all your leffe blonde clones go?
It is one of my favourite beers, and i'm wondering if you could possibly post
an extract, mini mash recipe, if so i would be very grateful.
Thanks

Here is a recipe that I got given, and currently have in the fermentor.. it's starting to slow down now, (havn't had a sample yet), but smells good through the airlock...

Muntons Premium Lager
1.5kg light liquid malt
500g glucose
25g Saaz hop pellets
Safale K-97 yeast.

Bring 2 litres of water to boil and add malt, glucose and hops. Boil for one minute, rest for 15 minutes, then strain. Continue brewing in normal way. Final volume 21 litres.

give me a week or so and this one will go into the bottle, and i'll give you an update on how it's tasting...

D

dallas you'll be hard pushed to get a blonde out of that....no offence but you might get a boags(ish) type brew. Im sure it'll certainly be very drinkable though :party:

flair enough steve.... no probs.. was just a recipe i picked up alittle while ago...

then i guess i'll sit back with the others and ask the advice of others for a suitable kit based leffe recipe! (and look forward to my 'mutant' leffe when she's ready!)

D

Back