Leffe Blonde clone from kit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jan Meyer

Reaction score
Muntons Continental Lager
1.5kg Pale Liquid Malt
500g dextrose
25g Saaz Hop Pellets
Safale Yeast
Bring 2 litres of water to the boil, add Malt and dextrose and stir till dissolved. Add hops, simmer for 1 minute then strain into fermenter with can of lager. Top up to 21 litres, add yeast and ferment at 16 degrees).

I just tasted my first pint after 4 weeks. Week and a half to ferment, and another 2 and a half weeks I let it sit in the keg in the freezer at 18 degrees while I was fermenting a cider.

Popped it in the kegerator for 2 days, gassed it up at 300kpa for 1 day and removed about half a pint of bottom nonsense before poring a pint. it was delicious! One of the best beers I have ever made/had.

Here is a better picture of beer in action. Had a friend over who is not too keen on "weird" beers. He loved it :)

Leffe Blonde.jpg

It is the Safale T-58 yeast. Got some more gear to do this batch again :)

I just used T-58 in my Belgian Extra Dark.
Good yeast.... Samples at bottling and after 2 weeks have this as being one of my better efforts - going to give it another couple of weeks before trying it again. A couple of Bottles will def be put away ffor more long term aging...

IMO the key to any leffe blond clone is wy 1214. I'm sure what u have made is a tasty belgian but to paraphrase nick jd you could chuck 1214 on a homebrand lager kit and you wouldn't be far from the mark.

Not sure if you can get your hands on liquid yeast but it really is a great yeast for the style. In amongst kegs of Belgian pale and a Belgian blonde brewed with 1214 atm and I can't get enough of it. They are both AG but the yeast really makes both beers, and the blonde is insanely close to leffe.

Jan is that one of those recipes from the brewcraft/ brewcellar leaflets?
Good to hear it turned out.

stakka82 said:
IMO the key to any leffe blond clone is wy 1214. I'm sure what u have made is a tasty belgian but to paraphrase nick jd you could chuck 1214 on a homebrand lager kit and you wouldn't be far from the mark.

Not sure if you can get your hands on liquid yeast but it really is a great yeast for the style. In amongst kegs of Belgian pale and a Belgian blonde brewed with 1214 atm and I can't get enough of it. They are both AG but the yeast really makes both beers, and the blonde is insanely close to leffe.
Hey stakka, hoping to make this soon - care to share your recipe? :)

Here you go mate, I actually stole this from another member who claimed he had got 2nd place at a comp with it, I can't remember who it was, respect to him though cause it's a cracker. I did modify slightly in terms of grain percentages and used mostly JW malts except for the aromatic.

Belgian Blond Ale

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 15.0
Total Grain (kg): 3.600
Total Hops (g): 30.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.063 (°P): 15.4
Final Gravity (FG): 1.013 (°P): 3.3
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 6.53 %
Colour (SRM): 4.9 (EBC): 9.7
Bitterness (IBU): 24.3 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 80
Boil Time (Minutes): 75

Grain Bill
----------------
2.600 kg Pilsner (72.22%)
0.400 kg Dextrose (11.11%)
0.350 kg Wheat Malt (9.72%)
0.250 kg Aromatic Malt (6.94%)

Hop Bill
----------------
30.0 g East Kent Golding Pellet (4.7% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (2 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------
5.0 g Calcium Chloride @ 0 Minutes (Mash)
5.0 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) @ 0 Minutes (Mash)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 18°C with Wyeast 1214 - Belgian Abbey

stakka82 said:
Here you go mate, I actually stole this from another member who claimed he had got 2nd place at a comp with it, I can't remember who it was, respect to him though cause it's a cracker. I did modify slightly in terms of grain percentages and used mostly JW malts except for the aromatic.

Belgian Blond Ale

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 15.0
Total Grain (kg): 3.600
Total Hops (g): 30.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.063 (°P): 15.4
Final Gravity (FG): 1.013 (°P): 3.3
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 6.53 %
Colour (SRM): 4.9 (EBC): 9.7
Bitterness (IBU): 24.3 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 80
Boil Time (Minutes): 75

Grain Bill
----------------
2.600 kg Pilsner (72.22%)
0.400 kg Dextrose (11.11%)
0.350 kg Wheat Malt (9.72%)
0.250 kg Aromatic Malt (6.94%)

Hop Bill
----------------
30.0 g East Kent Golding Pellet (4.7% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (2 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------
5.0 g Calcium Chloride @ 0 Minutes (Mash)
5.0 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) @ 0 Minutes (Mash)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 18°C with Wyeast 1214 - Belgian Abbey
yeah, that was me.
Great recipe, feedback was it needed a little more malt character though. Just playing around a little atm with different malts. Best one so far was with Ding Pils.

6tri6ple6 said:
yeah, that was me.
Great recipe, feedback was it needed a little more malt character though. Just playing around a little atm with different malts. Best one so far was with Ding Pils.
How much difference does the malt variety make?

Back