Leaving wort overnight

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gloveski

Reaction score
Quick question has anyone left there wort overnight in their boiler.

Was thinking of mashing in tonight then bringing up to boil for 5 minues and then turning off and then leaving overnight?
Or should bring it to the boil and then keep at about 80 degrees ?

Or is it simply a bad idea ?

Quick question has anyone left there wort overnight in their boiler.

Was thinking of mashing in tonight then bringing up to boil for 5 minues and then turning off and then leaving overnight?
Or should bring it to the boil and then keep at about 80 degrees ?

Or is it simply a bad idea ?
I have done it a few times, just put clingfilm over the lid of the kettle left it until the next day and haven't encountered any problems. Safer to put it into a cube though while still at sterilising temp and pitch yeast the next day.

I've done both. Kept at ~ 75-80c overnight (that beer turned out an excellent IPA) or just turned it off overnight.
Reboiled to finish the next day. One important thing is to remember that trub will settle and cake on the bottom so give the bottom a really good stir before bringing up the heat or the sediment cake can burn.

Have left over night after full boil left with lid on the boiler and siphoned into fermeter in the morning and had no problem the trub did settle so tried not to disturb.

It's extremely cold here at the moment..(UK) my wort chiller hose froze during my first AG batch at the weekend! So I put my boiled wort outside over night with the lid on. Pitched the yeast the next day after equalising the temp of yeast and wort again. It's been 5 days and I've had a good vigorous fermentation, I had a quick taste when I dry hopped today and it's all going well.. clearing up nicely...

To add to the brew days drama I also had a stuck sparge and ran out of time so I watered down my first runnings after to hit a decent enough gravity to make a decent sized batch.. luckily I was aiming for a heavy beer so I've got terrible efficiency and a session beer.
IMG-20180228-WA0002.jpg
IMG_20180218_162616.jpg

Interesting I didnt end up doing half the brew last night due to forgeting about cricket training , brew day for me is usually a friday when I am off so may look at doing in when cricket's finished so will be the cooler months for me here in Tassie

I've had sourness develop overnight with this method
Same. Only did it once and the following day there was a pellicle on top of the wort for a Belgian. All good though as it turned out to be one of the best beers I ever made! Must try to replicate some day.

Edit: found the thread I started at the time with a pic. Actually started out making a lager but changed it up after the pellicle appeared.
https://aussiehomebrewer.com/threads/proceed-or-not.92933/#post-1418136

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back