Leaving Wort Overnight

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sean83

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I just brewed my first lager last night.

4kg of Aust Pilsner
500g of carapils
500g of white rice

20g por at 60 min
10g cluster at 10 - 5 min (no chill went in at 5)

I had to leave the wort overnight in the kettle as I didn't have a clean cube last night (all are full and in use) should have brought one I know but i am just checking that leaving it overnight from about 2.00 in the morning to 4.00 this arvo. Will I be running the gauntlet so to speak with infection etc...

I pitched yeast at 28 and have just thrown it in the fridge should be 12 degrees by midnight / the morning.

Cheers Sean

Did you gladwrap the lid on the kettle? (I have done this once with success many moons ago).

Its all about risk management, and your sanitation. But get that wort down to temp asap and pitch as soon as you can imo.

Should be right if it's sealed from air. Whack it on concrete for heat absorbsion. And be sure to resanitise the tap/valve before draining.

Get a decent yeast running in there, and chances are you should have many more good yeasties than bad ones.

and in reply to the op, it should be fine as long as the yeast take off pretty quickly. if there were no odd smells or flavours when pitched i would proceed as normal.

I wouldnt try to push my luck, you have a 50/50 % chance of a good beer. Why brew if you dont have a container to ferment in ?
I hope all is ok but .................................
Nev

It'll be absolutely fine. I have done bagillions of batches using exactly this technique and never had an issue.

The wort only spends about a couple of hours at temperatures where wild yeast or bacteria can multiply - and it's in a sterile container - because you boiled it insanely for 60 minutes.

I always "flameout" at about 7pm and pitch yeast between noon and 2pm the next day. Never had a bad batch.

Thanks,

Hey Nev it wasn't untill after I had finished the boil that I realised I was out of cubes, and generally I would have just thrown one of them in the fermenter and swapped around as per usual, however because I had specifically brewed a lager and only had two packets og lager yeast i had my mind set on following through with brewing a lager.

Definetly covered with gladwrap and got the yeast in there as soon as I could obviously without putting them in too hot of wort.

Beerhog, mate I did the smell test and it was fine smelt like fresh wort - it was actually better smelling than my last AG so I was feeling pretty chuffed.

Thanks Nick and Kev hearing that really does set my mind at ease - will obviously be a little more prepared next time - but when you want to brew you just got to do it I guess.

Cheers for the replies guys.

Sean

Yeah I have done a few that I glad wraped and put the lid back on the heat in the kettle should pasterise most things. I would be recommend it but as a last resort its better then tipping it on the lawn before you start lol. I am lucky I brew in the mornings and I have BCF about 2mins away so if I find out I dont have a cube I can slip down while I wait for convection to settle

Is there a sanitation problem here or have I just mixed my medications again...worts do get infected, often by wild yeast but most commonly by controlled, as much as we can, yeast. The difference between good brewing bad is, in the end, as much about control, or controlling as best you can than anything. No matter what method of brewing you choose, Kit and Kilo, Fresh Wort, BOP, AG, BIAB, No Chill or even FUCCIK, a method I hvae employed more than once (ferment under controlled conditions in kettle) there are two essentials, sanitation and planning.
The op brewed without having a cube ready, is that a problem, is that a planning problem, is that a control problem or is it a sanitation problem, if the beer turns out OK then there was no problem, I will leave it to others to discuss why, or why not.

K

Thanks,

Hey Nev it wasn't untill after I had finished the boil that I realised I was out of cubes, and generally I would have just thrown one of them in the fermenter and swapped around as per usual, however because I had specifically brewed a lager and only had two packets og lager yeast i had my mind set on following through with brewing a lager.

Definetly covered with gladwrap and got the yeast in there as soon as I could obviously without putting them in too hot of wort.

Beerhog, mate I did the smell test and it was fine smelt like fresh wort - it was actually better smelling than my last AG so I was feeling pretty chuffed.

Thanks Nick and Kev hearing that really does set my mind at ease - will obviously be a little more prepared next time - but when you want to brew you just got to do it I guess.

Cheers for the replies guys.

Sean

that's it, when ya gotta brew ya gotta brew!

Dr K I know what you say. I do not think this should be used as a brewing practice nor do I think it should be done. But some times planing doesnt work out and he had to brew or felt like brewing without thinking of how to store or chill the beer before hand. I brew when I have time and sometimes that gets planed late the night before or early the next morning as I can be away one day and back the next without knowledge (why all my kegs are dry, happened last 3 weeks in a row get sent home on a saturday so I get home after lunch and no brew shop open and away 5am on monday for 10 days, if that is the case). I mean things dont work to plan and you brew when you can.

This method can work and it may work. As I say its not something people should make a regular thing its a once off desperate thing and should only be that to much to lose in there. Although if you want to take the risk its your risk not mine or any one else's

Is there a sanitation problem here or have I just mixed my medications again...worts do get infected, often by wild yeast but most commonly by controlled, as much as we can, yeast. The difference between good brewing bad is, in the end, as much about control, or controlling as best you can than anything. No matter what method of brewing you choose, Kit and Kilo, Fresh Wort, BOP, AG, BIAB, No Chill or even FUCCIK, a method I hvae employed more than once (ferment under controlled conditions in kettle) there are two essentials, sanitation and planning.
The op brewed without having a cube ready, is that a problem, is that a planning problem, is that a control problem or is it a sanitation problem, if the beer turns out OK then there was no problem, I will leave it to others to discuss why, or why not.

K

are you a politician by any chance? the above is all true and good to know but i keep coming back to the question, wich you have very skillfully avoided, why did you specifically point out biab as making everything ok? were you being sarcastic trying to start another 3v versus biab shit fight or were you making an informed statement that biab is much less prone to sanitation issues post boil? any way dont know why i really care but a simple yes no to those two questions would be nice.

are you a politician by any chance? the above is all true and good to know but i keep coming back to the question, wich you have very skillfully avoided, why did you specifically point out biab as making everything ok? were you being sarcastic trying to start another 3v versus biab shit fight or were you making an informed statement that biab is much less prone to sanitation issues post boil? any way dont know why i really care but a simple yes no to those two questions would be nice.

This, as Alice said, is getting curioser and curioser....
Beerhog I am not a politician, nor an optician for that matter, but I cannot for the life of me answer the question
why did you specifically point out biab as making everything ok
, nor indeed can I answer your second question about post boil biab...because frankly, and I have read this thread a few times to ensure my sanity, I have no idea what you are talking about unless its so OT it dares not speak its name.
Beerhog, a few more specific references, in particular to the thread perhaps?
Or will you
very skillfully avoid

K

i just reread the whole thread myself, couple of posts missing! if youve mixed youre meds then so have I! id love to go back and quote youre first post in this thread but alas its seems it is no more. the ops beer should be just fine and im happy to leave it at that.

i just reread the whole thread myself, couple of posts missing! if youve mixed youre meds then so have I! id love to go back and quote youre first post in this thread but alas its seems it is no more. the ops beer should be just fine and im happy to leave it at that.
Thats easy!
I said
If your brew was BIAB then it will be Ok
Nothing more..well perhaps a little more, I laughed somewhat more than I should have, had a pee,cooked an unremarkable meal, washed up,read a few chapters of Steinbeck (Cannery Row if you care) and noted that sanitation was important, all, as my meal, unremarkable.

K

As I say its not something people should make a regular thing its a once off desperate thing and should only be that to much to lose in there.

I am. Read up on traditional coolships.

It's sad how many people here brew by rote and fear, not by actually understanding microbiological processes.

I have done this heaps of times. I even grabbed a medal using this disgusting practise. Before I became a filthy no-chiller, I would just cover the kettle in sanitised glad wrap, lid on, glad wrap around the lid and leave over night to cool and pitch yeast the next day. Never had an infection doing this. Probably not best practise and I acknowledge that, but it works.

Cheers!

Season or not, serious question:

Dr K, if you ferment in the kettle, do you worry about the 'hot break'? Or do you manage it somehow?
Cheers for sharing.

PF

PS: any other kettle fermenting people, what to do different?

Back