Leaving Wort Overnight

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those that put cling wrap over the kettle and let it cool, how do you manage the;
1. The wrap not melting from the heat
2. The wrap not being sucked in as the wort cools

Are these issues to be concerned with? Never done it myself, but wouldn't mind knowing if I'm ever caught in a jam.

i've alfoiled first layr. lid then when not melting hot do cling wrap.

did it once. worked fine. cling wrap was initially melting.

I no chilled in the pot a few times before getting a cube/jerry.
Cleaned the rim of the pot at FO with starsan, same to the entire lid, lid on pot and cover steam hole with starsand cling wrap.
Waited 15mins or so for the pot to cool down a bit before spraying with starsan then 2 layers of cling wrap around the outside. No melting, the heat makes it cling really well though. Left in sealed room overnight.
Certainly get a nice compact layer of break the next day, makes siphoning out into ferment pretty easy, the beers all turned out very good and as far as clarity goes they were some of my clearest biab beers.

Its a method i would employ again in the future if needed for what ever reason.
But all in all i prefer the proper " NO CHILL" in a cube which i will pitch within a day or 2 anyway.

Thought I would do a quick follow up now that i have had a chance for this beer to sit in the fridge overnight. It is fermenting away perfectly - no off smells temp is down to 13 degrees so I am feeling pretty comfortable. Had a quick taste from the tap this morning - and well it tastes like fresh wort so my stress levels are well and truly down now. I doubt i will really use this method again but in all honesty after some reading and also the various feedback from this thread I can see that the risks with leaving wort overnight are not as high as I originally thought. Granted that suitable precautions are taken. Really though with brewing there is some level of risk of infection no matter how stringent or anal you are - I guess it is all about minimising but I dare say i have dodged this one and will hopefully come out with a fairly clean lager, chance to use the new filter as well.

I should mention this was a BIAB as well

Thanks everyone for the feedback

Sean

As soon as the boil finishes I starsan the shut out of the pot and lid, put the lid on & wrap it up with glad wrap & put it straight in the fridge. Never a problem with glad wrap melting, its melt point is higher than the pots heat.

Last brew I left in the fridge for 4 days in the pot like this & turned out brilliant. Can't see how it'd get infected.

Hi

IMO, you don't need a cube.

I no chill in the fermenter overnight, but leave the remaining wort in the kettle as well.

The next day I do a mini boil with the extra wort I get out of the kettle as it's had 12-16 hours to fall out properly.

This is usually 2 or so litres. Boil for 15 mins with the mass of hops I like, cool, add to main wort and pitch.

Saves an extra couple litres wort and better hop flavour and aroma.

Also splits the cleaning up a bit.

I sanitise my fermenter very well though.

Mark

Latest posts

Back