Leaving The Hobby.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirem

Reaction score
I've had a lot of fun with brewing, but sadly I just can't find the time anymore, I have fought this moment for a long time. I did not brew in 2011 and only a couple of times in 2010. I've collected a lot of stuff along the way, so I am flogging it all off. I've listed some of it and will list more.

This year I am making wine in McLaren Vale and will not be home for 6 months, probably longer. Hopefully we will then sell up and move home to the Adelaide Hills and I will go overseas for vintage again. My wife lost her mum to cancer 3 months ago and she needs her sisters and Dad more than ever.

So, as you can see, I won't be brewing in 2012 either.

I was also asked by the doctor to give drinking a break for a while, so I don't see how brewing fits into that now. With the quality of beer available in bottleshops these days, I am happy to just purchase what I need when I have met my weight and fitness goals.

I've lost 5kg already, 20kg to go! for me it wasn't the drinking that put the weight on, beer made so bloody hungry, even the next day I was hungry.

Best of luck with it all.

Cheers for your advice on winemaking (I've still got it all saved and will hopefully actually make a batch this year).

Best of luck with it all.

Cheers for your advice on winemaking (I've still got it all saved and will hopefully actually make a batch this year).

I'm still available for winemaking advice, but generally leave the AHB questions alone for a few others these days, unless there is a glaring mistake.

Sad to hear you're quiting the brewing, but the wine industry is great fun!
Vintage will certainly will keep you busy and fit (especially if you're out in the vineyards!), but very rewarding experience that you'll now doubt enjoy!
Best of luck with it mate.

And remember, it takes alot of beer to make a good bottle of wine... :chug:

Sad to hear you're quiting the brewing mate, but the wine industry is great fun!
Vintage will certainly will keep you busy and fit (especially if you're out in the vineyards!), but very rewarding experience that you'll now doubt enjoy!

Thanks mate, but I have been in the industry for 10 years, honours degree at Adelaide Uni, O/S vintages etc etc. I know a bit about winemaking and vintage.

Thanks mate, but I have been in the industry for 10 years, honours degree at Adelaide Uni, O/S vintages etc etc. I know a bit about winemaking and vintage.
Fair enough...then you know the score! :D

Well I hoped you snuck those supercoach beers in mate, including mine, before making this decision.

Make sure you drop us a line in SA when you are over.

Our loss is vitiners gain.

Best of luck kirem and ahb ows u a lot for u advice over tge years

Wish you all the best champ, still have very fond memories of the night BYB and myself drop around your place while were holidaying in Mildura.

sad news mate, hopefull in the future when circumstances change you will be able to take up the noble hobby again

keep in touch

cheers steve

A sad day indeed.

People that know Kirem will know the knowledge he has, backed up by appropriate experience and degrees to boot! They will also know his readiness to pass that knowledge on when you ask.

It's never good to see a brewer leave the hobby, and when it's someone with a lot of real world experience and decent person it makes it all the worse for the hobby. It's been great forum'ing with ya.

Kev

Sad news indeed Kirem, you've done a lot for this hobby and this Forum and I hope you will still be a regular presence here. It's good to hear that your getting your health back on track as well.

Andrew

Sad to hear you're quiting the brewing, but the wine industry is great fun!

Spat my coffee out....

Winemakers at Kirk's level don't raise a sweat, they have a team of bitches (called cellarhands) to do all the hard work for them whilst they sit in an airconditioned office 'tasting' wine. :p

Yes, I'm jealous. ;)

Good luck with the new challenges ahead, hope to share a glass or 2 with you in the future.

Spat my coffee out....

Winemakers at Kirk's level don't raise a sweat, they have a team of bitches (called cellarhands) to do all the hard work for them whilst they sit in an airconditioned office 'tasting' wine. :p

Yes, I'm jealous. ;)

Good luck with the new challenges ahead, hope to share a glass or 2 with you in the future.

You're a harsh man Mark, but someone has to operate the air-conditioner. It's not that hard to follow a map around the cellar. :D

Truth be known, I love hands-on, most winemakers that haven't been hands-on for a while dream about being hands-on again. I get my fix by making my own at home.

Spat my coffee out....

And bottom rung of the ladder we are... :(

And bottom rung of the ladder we are... :(

I make a point of looking after my cellarhands, often at my personal expense. Without good cellarhands you don't make good wine. Keep them happy, they keep me happy. Same with a good lab tech.

Back