Least Favourite Hop?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've tried Sorachi Ace a few times now, and can't get it to work for me. I'm sure it's good in combo, but I haven't felt the drive to find out what that combo is. I don't recommend it in a hefe especially.

The hop I would put at the bottom of my list is Wai-iti - just got.... nothing. Neutral bitterness, nothing to speak of in aroma or flavour, nothing unique about it. The crop I had was around 3%, so didn't even go far as a bitterer.

This thread has shown how we wrestle with our art. That cluster shit with XXXX. And why do I muse on what the **** is that taste in Millers Draught that yes is corn and a poofteenth of what the **** of who really gives a shit. We love it. Wear it like a badge dudes. No hops? That Would be an issue.

IMHO there is no such thing as a bad hop, only inappropriate use.

Love POR in the right beer. Single hopped ale or lager is perfect for it.

Sorachi ace works well if treated carefully (Feral golden ace comes to mind - good beer IMO)

JD

To all the Nelson haters I'm dry hopping with 10g of it tomorrow night (hate me now). Never tasted it and hopefully it wont ruin the brew. Amarillo is my fav. I dry hopped with fuggles once and didn't like it but from what people are saying here it isn't supposed to be used for dry hopping.

Nibbo said:
My least favourite hop to date is amarillo...I've found it tastes similar to drinking the juice from a two fruits tin. Not my cup o tea in a beer.
In saying that, i intend on brewing with it again as I'm sure I could use it better.
God....combine amarillo and centennial late in the boil on a Pale Ale to about 20ibu...brilliant.

I have done 2 with NS- both variations of a FY clone. First one was great second one that I tinkered with the schedule- 3 year old bottle of chardony. I still have 70g of NS in the freezer and to scared to use it again.

Sorrachi- first brew in a wheat beer- very lemony, second time in conjunction with citra and galaxy in an IPA and one of my best beers.

Im drinking an IPA with 1/3 citra, 1/3 cascade and 1/3 chinook. First time I've used chinook and it is overpoweringly piney. I like what it brings but would halve the addition next time to balance it out.

I think all hops bring something to the table and it is absolutely about understaning their flavours and strengths to make a good beer from them.

fletcher said:
fresh pride of ringwood is amazing. don't judge the hop on megaswill. use it in your own beer and judge it.

fuggles however. tastes like dirt.
Yes fuggles would be my least favourite. As I have said a few times, I love boiled peanuts with a beer but not boiled peanut flavoured beer

I can't believe only neonmate has mentioned Pacific Gem. That shit is like eating IBU100 hopberry jam. Very unpleasant/harsh blackberry flavour.

Also, if you hate galaxy, you hate S&W pacific ale. That said, it has very harsh bittering with heavy pre-45min additions.

Some good old Aussies here.

Well done guys.

Batz

yeah not a fan of s&w pacific... although many other people are, that's fine by me. pacific jam. or should i say toejam.

the more i brew the less i am able to come up with reasons to use anything other than saaz... it's the king.

Golding horrible horrible floral flavour i hate

It took me years to retry POR after making a beer with it and it tasting like river water. I used it late though. I have just knocked out an Aust Pale Ale using POR at 60 only. Its a really good beer. So, POR is back for me. I have tasted Citra in a mates AG and I didnt like it and I've made a late hopped APA with NS and the sauv was just a bit too much for me.
Probably stating what others have said as I didnt read the whole 5 pages, bit I reckon every hop has its 'right' use. For me, now, POR is bittering only and NS probably need restraint late. Same lesson I learnt with Galaxy.
I dont want to get O.T. but I'm finding late hopping with some high AA Americans is paying dividends! Bravo is doing it for me right now.

jyo said:
Thou doth sin! Heretic!

Ducatiboy stu said:
One of my best beers is made with only Saaz..

But its not the greatest for dry hoping. As many have found out.

Pratty1 said:
I think he was joking.....lol.
Yup, definitely joking about citra, styrians and saaz.

They're 3 of my favourite hops in APAs, bitters/milds and lagers, respectively.

God I could go a pint of a styrian bitter right now. A bit of marmalade in a nice warm beer would be lurvely for a cold morn'.

Looks like I know what is next on the to-brew list.

It really is one of those "not the size but how you use it" things. Havn't come across a hop I dislike completely.

Willamette: Hated it in a pale I made, drinking it in a porter as a large flavour addition and a wonderful addition it is.
Saaz: Dry hopped was very unpleasant. In a Weizen on its own, delicious.
Citra: Sometimes I get a beautiful tropical flavour, other times I get a pleasant wood character. Fan of both.
Cascade: Always loved it but never got that grapefruit flavour.
Cluster: Made an Australian Ale with it and coopers yeast and was quiet similar to carlton draught. The old man loved it.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Gota say....never experienced any of those flavours in any hops I have used....
Cock ale?

Yuck. Keep you poultry out of my beer. And your cock.

I don't know enough and haven't tasted enough to dislike a hop yet. Sounds like I need to do a 500g 60min galaxy addition in my next saison...

Back