Least Favourite Hop?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to call my list "most overrated" hops, for my personal preference:

Nelson Sauvin, Sorachi Ace and Centennial… yep I said it. Centennial.

Mind you, whilst NS and SA are getting a bit of a flogging, I do find them to be very interesting hops - they certainly cast some very unique flavours, which can bring something special to the table. I.e. the Brooklyn SA Saison we had at Brew v Cru (GBW), paired with seafood - was an amazing match.

Spiesy said:
I'm going to call my list "most overrated" hops, for my personal preference:

Nelson Sauvin, Sorachi Ace and Centennial… yep I said it. Centennial.

Mind you, whilst NS and SA are getting a bit of a flogging, I do find them to be very interesting hops - they certainly cast some very unique flavours, which can bring something special to the table. I.e. the Brooklyn SA Saison we had at Brew v Cru (GBW), paired with seafood - was an amazing match.
Ouch, Centennial? The only thing I recommend against is a big Dry Hop with it as it turns vegital and grassy with ease. I hate a few noble hops but that is due to preference around style rather than the hop themselves.

@stu - I agree that hops need to be used judiciously. I've never used the ones in my list in my own beer - it's commercial examples that make me not want to.
Bridgeport also use hops with an onion/garlic character I don't like. Might be summit.

Citra, styrians and saaz.

Can't make good beers with any of them..

But on a more serious note, I haven't had too many hops I didn't like, I've just used them in the wrong way. NS being one of them..

stillinrehab said:
Ouch, Centennial? The only thing I recommend against is a big Dry Hop with it as it turns vegital and grassy with ease. I hate a few noble hops but that is due to preference around style rather than the hop themselves.
I thought that might raise some eyebrows.

I don't hate it. But I certainly don't rave on about it like a lot of people, in fact - quite the opposite.
People call it "super cascade" - but I get much, much DEEPER flavours than Cascade. Almost medicinal, cough-syrup vibes - and a fair bit of "dank".

I am probably on my own here… but horses for intercourses etc etc.

Haven't had a bad experience yet with a hop. If i had to say... Summer.

I have a massive brew fermenting away showcasing Summer so hopefully that changes my view.

Not seeing much love for POR and Galaxy. The beer I brew most often is an Oz Pale Ale with POR used for bittering and Galaxy for flavour/aroma. I've tweaked the additions each time but think I have it pretty close to having them how I want. The key, for me, was to get just enough earthiness coming through from the POR to balance the full on fruitiness of the Galaxy. It's a bit of a delicate balance, but when you get it right I think they really work well together.

Sorachi Ace. Not that I've used it, but based on every beer i've tasted, commercial and friends brews, that has used it I quite dislike... so I don't intend to use it.

I dont like POR or Fuggles.
My favorites at the moment are Nelson Sav, Galaxy and Citra mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

sponge said:

Can't make good beers with any of them..

But on a more serious note, I haven't had too many hops I didn't like, I've just used them in the wrong way. NS being one of them..
Thou doth sin! Heretic!

sponge said:

Can't make good beers with any of them....
One of my best beers is made with only Saaz..

But its not the greatest for dry hoping. As many have found out.

Liquid hop extract.

Oh hang on, that's what Duvel uses, so I must to like it.

That said, I'll never make NS the 'star' again. Could have subbed by dry hopping with a large under ripe grapefruit.

rbtmc said:
[POR] Fair call. But have you made an exceptional beer with it?
Won me a sack of Maris Otter at last year's ESB comp, came first in the group. I love POR in a true Coopers Sparkling Clone fermented at below 18 degrees.

It was also the base hop (plus Hersbrucker late addition) in the Aus Premium that came second in the pale lagers in the Nationals last year.

The flowers are an outstanding hop if you can get the latest freshest batches.

Personally I don't like Mt. Hood, the only times I've used it I've had a harshness quite at odds with most American C type hops.

Just to clear up a common misconception, hop extract made by extraction with supercritical CO2 is NOT isohop.

Grab a can or bottle of Oettinger or even a bottle of Melbourne Bitter, flip the top and take a deep sniff. You'll get ample hop aroma, and some hop flavour on drinking as well as bitterness. That's why VB and MB taste somewhat different, they get "dressed" with different extracts and caramels on the way to the packing lines.

Isohop is an extract of the extract used to adjust IBUs and also used in beers that intentionally have little or no hop character. It's all you could taste in Carlton Cold, when it used to be a fullstrength beer, for example.

Ducatiboy stu said:
One of my best beers is made with only Saaz..

But its not the greatest for dry hoping. As many have found out.

Looking at trying saaz soon - what type of beer did you make?

mosto said:
Not seeing much love for POR and Galaxy. The beer I brew most often is an Oz Pale Ale with POR used for bittering and Galaxy for flavour/aroma. I've tweaked the additions each time but think I have it pretty close to having them how I want. The key, for me, was to get just enough earthiness coming through from the POR to balance the full on fruitiness of the Galaxy. It's a bit of a delicate balance, but when you get it right I think they really work well together.

Wait a minute, are you saying you actually brewed a few different batches with the same hop, and adjusted each new recipe to get good results?

It's way easier to just write the variety off after one batch mate, why waste your time?

:)

Summit late in the boil....... garlic filth, only batch that i haven't been able to finish, even after letting it age.

Love it as a bittering hop though.

Back