Least Favourite Hop?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My least favourite hop to date is amarillo...I've found it tastes similar to drinking the juice from a two fruits tin. Not my cup o tea in a beer.
In saying that, i intend on brewing with it again as I'm sure I could use it better.

lukencode said:
Looking at trying saaz soon - what type of beer did you make?
Just a simple ale.

Ale malt to about 1055sg
10% wheat
5-10% med xtal.

Bitter to a total 36 ibu
30ibu @ 60min
split the 6 ibu between flav & aroma

If you checz Saaz you will need a fair amount as its normally only around 4% AA.

Most successful Vienna I ever made was just 100% Vienna, and Saaz 60 mins only. I took it to a BABBs meeting and nobody guessed that there was only one hop addition.

why all the hate for fuggles?

Great in a high gravity stout.

yeah, my stout with a 60 minute fuggles was great.

so I've just bottled another one with a 60 minute and a cube addition!

Nibbo said:
My least favourite hop to date is amarillo...I've found it tastes similar to drinking the juice from a two fruits tin. Not my cup o tea in a beer.
In saying that, i intend on brewing with it again as I'm sure I could use it better.
Once I made an IPA predominantly with Amarillo, never again, tasted like Apricot nectar, which I am NOT a fan of.

Less is more I find, I have done a series of American wheats over the years, all single hop, and the Amarillo one was sublime.

All Fuggles Irish Red. Delicious.
PoR in Aussie ale. Delicious.
NS in Black IPA. Delicious.

There are no bad hops, just incorrect applications.

mje1980 said:
Wait a minute, are you saying you actually brewed a few different batches with the same hop, and adjusted each new recipe to get good results?

It's way easier to just write the variety off after one batch mate, why waste your time?

Not For Horses said:
........There are no bad hops, just incorrect applications.
When you two are ready to play properly, I have some torches and pitchforks which you are are welcome to use.

galaxy. topaz.
pacific gem.
i agree with whoever said centennial too. much prefer cascade.
NS has its place in a mix with other hops, like fuggles does. you want violas in the orchestra, you just don't want to hear one do a solo.

I love a solo viola....oh, viola...sorry.

I never used a bad hop, just put them in the wrong styles of beer.
Some hops also go really well in combos with others.. eg. EKG and Fuggles.
Horses for courses..
I cant pick a bad one, just some I dont use, buts that brewing and we all have different tastes.

NZ Fuggles flowers, IMHO, out-Fuggle the original Fuggle.

Not For Horses said:
All Fuggles Irish Red. Delicious.
PoR in Aussie ale. Delicious.
NS in Black IPA. Delicious.

There are no bad hops, just incorrect applications.
No bad hops but there are individual characters that aren't to some people's taste. I don't like cauliflower for example but I don't think it's a bad vegetable. I don't care for turkey much either.

Latest posts

Back