Leaky Fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jase

Reaction score
Hi There,

I put on a Grumpys Newcastle Brown Extrabrew around 8pm last night, which went surprisingly well.

I checked the fermenter at 6am this morning, to see if the brew was bubbling away, but found no activity. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that there was a puddle of wort about the size of a 20 cent piece directly under the tap. It appears that there is a small leak between the o-ring on the tap and fermenter. It doesn't seem to be dripping out, more like it's oozing out and running down the front of the fermenter.

Is there a chance that the brew could become infected because of this? I have a spare fermenter, should I rack this brew into the other fermenter when I get home this arvo?

Cheers,
Jase

I wouldn't worry about it unless you get too much beer coming out.

Can you tweak up the tap tightness anymore (be careful)?

Little chance of infection, but big chance of NO beer if you leave it leaking for a week or 2 - I'd be racking to new fermenter asap....

sosman said:
I wouldn't worry about it unless you get too much beer coming out.

Can you tweak up the tap tightness anymore (be careful)?
[post="45487"][/post]​

I'll try tightening the tap a bit more, otherwise I'll rack into another fermenter.

Cheers,
Jase

Back