Leaking Post

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jase

Reaction score
Hi there,

I was testing my third keg, due to some leaking problems and discovered that my in post was very loose. So I disconnected it and the post come apart in my hand, I tried to put the post back together, but I didn't have much luck, so I pushed the tube section in the hole, and screwed the top section onto the post hole.

I have now pressure tested it, and the post leaks when the disconnect is removed. It seems like there is almost too much pressure underneath it.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there anyway to fix this post, or will I need to replace the post?

I have my third brew ready to keg on Thursday.

Cheers,
Jase

I assume you put the little spring seal back in when you reassembled it? That sucker is normally the culprit and you can buy them for a few bucks at HBS's that stock keg parts. Take the old on with you if you go to get one so you can make sure it is the same.

Sounds like your poppet valve either needs to be replaced or reseated.
Unscrew the post and use some needle nose pliers to remove it. Some unscrew and some just pull out with a bit of coaching.
If you need to replace it take the old one with you as JasonY suggests are there are a few different types.

Beers,
Doc

Doc said:
Sounds like your poppet valve either needs to be replaced or reseated.
Unscrew the post and use some needle nose pliers to remove it. Some unscrew and some just pull out with a bit of coaching.
Doc,

How do I reseat it?

Jase

pull it out and have a look at it, clean it and pop it back in, they can be a pain in the ass to keep in place when you screw the fitting back onto the keg. I find if you rock the keg as you tighten it helps to right it.

if it is cornelius - 2 types of poppets

One where the legs pushes up into the post and lock in. Use a small socket so that u dont push on the pin in the middle. Turn post upside down, put poppet in - position socket and light tap with hammer.
Note:
spreading the leg tips more apart with needle nose pliers can help the fit.

Second type is where the poppet does not fit inside the post - just rests on top of the dip tube.
If the spring is a bit week - temp fix is to get a small washer and fit this over the dip tube. Place poppet legs on this and screw post onto keg...

hope this helps you out

Thanks fellas,

I'll try them tonight.

Just something of curiosity.

I put 300kpa in the keg last night, and left the disconnect on, got up this morning and the guage still shows 300kpa. As soon as remove the disconnect the gas starts hissing out.

Jase.

All fixed.

After a couple of hours of stuffing around, it stopped leaking.

Thanks for all your help, guys.

Cheers,
Jase

Back