Leaking Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jase

Reaction score
Hi There,

I kegged my third beer, last night, into my third, and last keg. After cleaning the keg, and then running water thru the line and tap, the keg wouldn't seal once the beer was in it.

To make a long story short, Linz popped over, and mentioned that the lid o-ring may need replacing.

This morning, I decided to swap the lids over on my two Cornelius kegs to make sure that the lid was faulty, but the lid sealed perfectly on the other keg. :unsure: The other lid wouldn't seal on this keg. :unsure: Confused yet?? So it seems that the keg must be faulty.

Have anyone experienced this before?
Is the beer in the keg without gas now no good? If not, can I transfer this into a jerrycan, or should I leave it in the keg?

I apologise, in advance, for all the questions.

Cheers,
Jase

Where is it not sealing ? Or is the lid too big or small for the opening ?
Are all your kegs the same ?
The legs of the lid may have splayed a little and need a little bending (re-alignment) to make the lid seal.

Beers,
Doc

Make up some soapy water (like kids use for bubble blowers), juice up the keg from a pressure source and the apply the soapy water generously (paint brush, basting brush etc) to all the possible sources of leaks.

Of the 5 kegs I have, I have one that is quite "fussy", I really need to pop it with 200kPa or so before it will seal. The hatch release thingy on the top is basically useless on this particular keg - I have to pull the hatch up while pressurising.

Get the problem keg and original lid....seal it up wih some pressure and pour water around the lid and posts... check the posts,purge valve and lid seal to see where it's leaking.......

If it is leaking out the lid seal, and u replace the o-ring and it's still leaking you can:

1) Crank up the pressure to seat the new o-ring in properly with the lid..again check for leaks....

2) Still leaking, grab some steel wool and rub around the outer lip of the lid and inside the keg where the o-ring seals...sometimes crap builds up so that the o-ring doesn't sit flush.....

Yes, I had a keg like Sosmans. It needed a good kick from behind with the gas to get it to seat. It could be heard popping into place. I found a little silicone grease helped greatly to overcome the problem

Tony M said:
Yes, I had a keg like Sosmans. It needed a good kick from behind with the gas to get it to seat. It could be heard popping into place. I found a little silicone grease helped greatly to overcome the problem
Agreed,
Keg lube can also help poppets to seal.

Hi Guys,

All fixed.

Thanks for all of your replies. Sorry I couldn't reply earlier, my pc at work had pop ups galore today, I couldn't reply nor sign in.

Just got home, and got the keg to seal.

I email Craig Deacon today, who told me to pull the lid up, and apply pressure underneath. A couple of gos, and presto. It seems that all your great minds think alike.

Thanks again,
Jase.
P.S. Sorry to be a pain.

Do I have any gas left?????? :huh:

Back