Leaking Keg, What Fittings Do I Need?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adz1179

Reaction score
hi all,

i have 2 ball lock kegs going into a 3" shank (this one) and out of perlick 525 flow contolls.

somewhere between the disconnect and the shank i have a small leak, currently the 6mm hose is connected to the disconnect and barb with a hose clamp on each end as tight as it can go.

im not loosing too much beer, probably a schooner full over the life of the keg. at the moment, when not in use im just unplugging the beer out disconnect to solve the problem but this is a PITA due to the positioning of my keezer.

are there any fittings i can get that will solve this problem? or is it just worthwhile unplugging the disconnect after each use?

thanks in advance.

Stupid question time.
If you know you have a leak can you not see where it is leaking?
Why do you think it's leaking?

If it's in the fittings/line why not swap over to John Guest line and fittings? Put good gear in there and get many years of good service from it.

QldKev

Stupid question time.
If you know you have a leak can you not see where it is leaking?
Why do you think it's leaking?

no, i cant see. usually after 24-48 hrs there is a very small amount of beer on the floor of the keezer, which very gradually gets worse over time. removing the beer out disconnect when not in use stops the problem so im only assuming that the beer line straight on the barbs at either end is the issue.

If it's in the fittings/line why not swap over to John Guest line and fittings? Put good gear in there and get many years of good service from it.

QldKev

Cheers kev, thats what im looking for, but being a keg noob i have no idea what i need. Im assuming a few of these products?

hi all,

i have 2 ball lock kegs going into a 3" shank (this one) and out of perlick 525 flow contolls.

somewhere between the disconnect and the shank i have a small leak, currently the 6mm hose is connected to the disconnect and barb with a hose clamp on each end as tight as it can go.

im not loosing too much beer, probably a schooner full over the life of the keg. at the moment, when not in use im just unplugging the beer out disconnect to solve the problem but this is a PITA due to the positioning of my keezer.

are there any fittings i can get that will solve this problem? or is it just worthwhile unplugging the disconnect after each use?

thanks in advance.

Next time you clean the keg, make a frothy mix of napisan in the keg.
Put this keg only on the gas, connect your tap up and turn up the pressure. You should then be able to see the leak and determine what to replace.
At the same time, youve cleaned the keg and lines / tap. Rinse.

Next time you clean the keg, make a frothy mix of napisan in the keg.
Put this keg only on the gas, connect your tap up and turn up the pressure. You should then be able to see the leak and determine what to replace.
At the same time, youve cleaned the keg and lines / tap. Rinse.

If you're using screw/worm type hose clamps, they don't provide an even squeeze on the barbs and can leave a micro channel for the beer to traverse. Proper beer clamps apply even pressure all around and don't suffer this problem.

Of course JG fittings have orings and also don't have this problem ;)

no, i cant see. usually after 24-48 hrs there is a very small amount of beer on the floor of the keezer, which very gradually gets worse over time. removing the beer out disconnect when not in use stops the problem so im only assuming that the beer line straight on the barbs at either end is the issue.

Remove the o-ring from that OUT post. In a strong light rotate it taking note of the outside.

$10 says there's a small divot in the o-ring's outer perimeter.

I also had a little puddle below my kegs. 50c fix.

Remove the o-ring from that OUT post. In a strong light rotate it taking note of the outside.

Actually I just came back to this thread to mention that. Are you sure it's not leaking from the keg post. If so pick up some replacement seals and change them over, they are very cheap from industry suppliers.

May as well redo all the seals while you are at it.. That's what I did when I got a new set of kegs.

Then you are working with a known quality of keg seals.

Actually I just came back to this thread to mention that. Are you sure it's not leaking from the keg post. If so pick up some replacement seals and change them over, they are very cheap from industry suppliers.

yeah it could very well be the problem. I'll check when i get home and post the results, if it is the case ill send NickJD $10 worth of postage stamps :p

I had exactly the same thing happen recently. Slight leak only sometimes out of the out post. I just replaced all the seals and gave the kegs a good clean. Problem went away instantly.

I'm not 100% convinced. I removed the o-ring, looked perfect. Can't post pics as I'm on the iPhone. I replaced it anyway, left the beer out disconnect on and will see what happens in the next day or two.

I'm not 100% convinced. I removed the o-ring, looked perfect. Can't post pics as I'm on the iPhone. I replaced it anyway, left the beer out disconnect on and will see what happens in the next day or two.

Don't forget to whack some lube on there. kj jelly or tap lube

Don't make the screw type clamps too tight as it deforms them and can cause leaks.Just firm or a little more but not much.

Okay. PM me your address. $10 on its way.

Hang on to your $10 bucks NickJD, 24hrs later and there are no leaks.

here is the old o-ring i took off, as you can see it looks perfect??? go figure....

photo_1.JPG
photo_2.JPG

i'll keep an eye out over the next few days but fingers crossed this has fixed the issue

thanks everyone above for all the suggestions, the cleaning tips with napisan and keg lube will definitely be part of my future routine.

Same thing exactly happened to me which ended to be the o-ring on the OUT took the old seal off which appeared to be fine, then put a new seal and not a problem ever since.

Back