Leaking John Guest Fitting

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poompy

Reaction score
Hey all,

Hoping someone might be able to shed some light on an issue I am having. Came to pour a beer one arvo and no gas :(. Opened the fridge to find beer had sprayed down on one of the kegs. On closer inspection it seems to have come out from the Female Adaptor which i use to connect to the MFL Beer Out.

Since then i have pulled this connection apart and soaked everything in some sodium perc. Prior to this it did look a little dirty but that could have been the leak. The connection was screwed on nice and tight.

Is there there supposed to be a washer/o-ring between the two?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Ben

Is it leaking from the JG fitting or where the JG screws onto the QD?

sorry should have said that.

it is coming out where it screws onto the QD

no washer is needed unless you have the stainless QD's. Use a spanner to tighten them, be careful you don't strip the thread. I have them on my cold plate. the temperature change(I think) makes them leak so they have to be checked before each use. barbs are more reliable and cheaper.

no washer is needed unless you have the stainless QD's. Use a spanner to tighten them, be careful you don't strip the thread. I have them on my cold plate. the temperature change(I think) makes them leak so they have to be checked before each use. barbs are more reliable and cheaper.
In my experience they are very reliable. I've been using mine for 3 years with no leaks. They only get done up finger tight with no thread tape.

I suspect though if your JG fitting or the end of the QD weren't spotless like mine are you could have an issue.

I havent had any issues with them for over two yrs....they are always inside the fridge so didnt think a temp shift big enough would be possible.

I have some barb QDs at home so could just switch over to them....just liked the ease of JG fittings.

As already mentioned above, I've never seen them leak. I would get a roll of gas thread tape and wack some one. I think that will ensure a good seal.

QldKev

I have put some thread tape on them...will have to test and see. I have just been turning the gas off until it becomes to slow to pour for the time being until i know for sure they arent going to leak on me again....dont want to lose another bottle of CO2

I have put some thread tape on them...will have to test and see. I have just been turning the gas off until it becomes to slow to pour for the time being until i know for sure they arent going to leak on me again....dont want to lose another bottle of CO2
Stick the disconnect in a tub of water with the gas on, will tell you pretty quick if it's leaking.

I lost a bottle of gas due to a leaky JG splitter - probably it got stressed over the last couple of years due to keg tetris. I replaced it with a cheap plastic barbed y-splitter from a car parts shop and it's tight as the proverbial. Unfortunately the JG QD fittings are so good in a fridge with limited space (eg kegmate) it's hard to go back. Personally I'd just buy a new one, only about $10? Cheaper than gas. <_<

I have a keg that leaks out the OUT post with all ball-lock QDs - must be the post. Doesn't seem to be the O rings and the post is tight. There's a tiny dent in the post on the edge.

Not sure how it helps, but sometimes it's not the QD. I think I might have to buy a new post.

Don't use thread tape, they seal on the end, not the thread. If you get some tape trapped at the end you may cause a leak.

cheers Ross

Don't use thread tape, they seal on the end, not the thread. If you get some tape trapped at the end you may cause a leak.

cheers Ross

ok, can understand how that would be a problem.
im thinking the easiest and cheapest option is for me to use on of my barb QDs.

ok, can understand how that would be a problem.
im thinking the easiest and cheapest option is for me to use on of my barb QDs.

I'd be finding out exactly where the leak is first before doing anything else. A little soapy water will give you the answer & then you can either try & fix or replace.

Cheers Ross

Back