Leaking fermenter tap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hey.gringo

Reaction score
Hi guys, newbie brewer here, 4-5 brews in and having a little issue

I seem to have fucked the thread on the fermenter tap somehow and have sprung a (minor) leak. Can't tighten it more, just keeps turning.

I'm only 4 days into this batch, main question is if it's not properly sealed how badly is this likely to effect the brew? Bubbling away quite happily at the minute. Planning on getting some silicone sealant to try to seal it a bit better then figured I'd just let it do its thing and cross my fingers. Or would it be better to try to get another fermenter and syphon and rack it over? Or so likely to be infected might as well chuck it?

Any advice gratefully received (including how to pacify my mrs whose spare room now smells even more like beer!)

Cheers

Neil

Rack it into another fermenter using sanitised tubing. Santise the tap first with a spray bottle. Next time you use the fermenter, use threading tape and sanitise it before screwing the tap in. And don't forget to sanitise.

Cheers for the advice, will try and find another fermenter and tubing tomo. And sanitise sanitise sanitise everything!

labels is correct but assuming the leak is not too bad and to try and avoid transferring to another ferment put keg lube around the tap and as plumbers thread tape is really fine see if you can wind some around the end of the tap forcing into where the tap meets the fermenter.

Back