Leaking Braumeister

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwb

Reaction score
Hi all, just wondering if anybody has experienced any leaking from their Braumeisters at all. Filled up my unit with the intention of brewing today and noticed a few drips coming from underneath. Traced it to water running down the power cable from one side where the element is plumbed in. Not happy. Tightened it up as much as I dare. Still leaking. Undid the nut holding that side of the element in for a closer look. Nothing obvious. Hole was a little rough so cleaned that up. Wanted to replace the fibre washer while I was at it, but that looked like a bit of a mission. So it all went back together as is. Seems ok now, but I'm not confident. Anybody else had to replace these washers? I thought about smearing silicon on the washer if it still leaks and cleaning off any excess once tightened up but don't really won't to do a dodgy on such a nice bit of gear.

Hi all, just wondering if anybody has experienced any leaking from their Braumeisters at all. Filled up my unit with the intention of brewing today and noticed a few drips coming from underneath. Traced it to water running down the power cable from one side where the element is plumbed in. Not happy. Tightened it up as much as I dare. Still leaking. Undid the nut holding that side of the element in for a closer look. Nothing obvious. Hole was a little rough so cleaned that up. Wanted to replace the fibre washer while I was at it, but that looked like a bit of a mission. So it all went back together as is. Seems ok now, but I'm not confident. Anybody else had to replace these washers? I thought about smearing silicon on the washer if it still leaks and cleaning off any excess once tightened up but don't really won't to do a dodgy on such a nice bit of gear.

Take it back to the supplier.

Surely there is warranty on such a purchase?? Where did you buy it?

I understand your frustration but just grab your receipt and head back to your supplier... Their problem, not yours. $2.5k is not a throw away product!

Unless of course it is out of warranty? If so, I would be taking to a engineer or similar for a professional repair...

e.g. - If your car breaks down, out of warranty and you're are not a mechanic, would you start pulling it apart and try to 'fix' stuff?

2c but an investment like a BM is a little different than a free 'Legal' vessel you managed to cut to top out of....

Good luck!

Take it back to supplier! Many know me as the whining weld leak bm owner. I took it back straight swap I grew another dick I was so happy

Thanks for the comments / advice. Should add that this is not a new purchase. I've had many excellent brews out of the device so far and I'm more than happy with my impulse buy. I believe the problem to be 'normal wear and tear' and the result of pushing and pulling the element about when scrubbing the element clean. Damn those wheat beers and the mess they make. Looks like I'm about "to boldy go". I shall report back once the 20c part has been sorted.

Thanks for the comments / advice. Should add that this is not a new purchase. I've had many excellent brews out of the device so far and I'm more than happy with my impulse buy. I believe the problem to be 'normal wear and tear' and the result of pushing and pulling the element about when scrubbing the element clean. Damn those wheat beers and the mess they make. Looks like I'm about "to boldy go". I shall report back once the 20c part has been sorted.

A few thoughts for you.
(1) I have given my elements such a good thorough scrub that I have had to bend them back into shape! No leaks here.
(2) Looks to me like they use some sort of thread paste instead of thread tape. 'Loctite' of some sort may do the trick?
(3) If you replace a gasket washer: some need to be tightened after they have been wet up.

If you bought it from MHB I would at least let him know about it. I could not imagine himnot sorting it for you.
Another reason for buying these things from a retailer and not saving money by purchasing them direct from the US.

Steve

Back