Ldme As Base Malt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luek

Reaction score
I have a surplus of LDME and dextrose and want to use it as a base malt to test out a few things which I won't go into detail about (I'm on my phone, typing is a pain)

Just wondering if anyone has done this before and what ratio of malt:dextrose:water will result in "normal" (ie 4-5%) beer

i would say it is perfectly fine to make a beer made entirly up up LDME, however the mouthfeel will be really heavy, just make sure you have balanced the heavy maltyness with enough hops to pack a punch as the malt will keep developing.

If im doing a more maltier brew then i usually go with 3:1 malt to dextrose (the dextrose will help to thin out the beer and adjust the mouthfeel) and i high AA hop (according to style) to bitter it with at 40 min.

if you are planning to use specialty grains then i would stick to the lighter ones as this LDME will colour the brew alot, so i would probably go an england/american brown or a heavier german style lager.

cheers jake.

Sure you can base a beer on LDME.

I calculate LDME at a rate of 100g/L giving me 36 gravity points per litre. Adjust from here for the gravity you are aiming for. Sub out a portion for Dex/simple sugars.

Add your extract very late (I add just before flame out) and you can make a light coloured beer - good if you are using lighter specialty malts. Boil it for an hour and it will darken up.

If you're making something darker, bung the LDME in at the start!

Kev

For a smoother beer than using dex, I'd recommend using a tub or even two tubs (500g apiece) of Chinese rice maltose syrup. Available for $2 a tub from Asian supermarkets. They use it to glaze Peking duck, chicken cuts and to make char sui. But yeasties love it and it doesn't throw out the fermentation profile so much as dex because the yeasties just recognise it as maltose which is also the main fermentable in LDME.

Thanks guys, got the info I'm after now.

Bribie, that sounds interesting but Chinese supermarkets unfortunately aren't a staple of rural mining towns which is all that surrounds me.

There is a Thai restaurant in the club I work at though, and a regular punter owns a Chinese restaurant, so I'll ask around.

Depends what type of dme it is. Whats the brand?

Thanks guys, got the info I'm after now.

Bribie, that sounds interesting but Chinese supermarkets unfortunately aren't a staple of rural mining towns which is all that surrounds me.

There is a Thai restaurant in the club I work at though, and a regular punter owns a Chinese restaurant, so I'll ask around.

seen it in Coles in the health food section at about $3.50 for 500g. I used some in my latest stout.

Back