Lcpa, Bottle Yeast?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgriffin

Reaction score
Now i admit sometimes i'm slow, but i've been drinking LCPA for a while now, and never before noticed yeast in the bottle. But ive scored a case of them, and notice that every bottle has what appears to be yeast in the bottom. Now either i've got an infected batch, or LC bottle condition their beer.

Does anyone know whether they use the same yeast as primary? Or do they do the common trick of bottle conditioning with lager yeast?

I think a few previous posts have covered this topic.

But I'm fairly certain that the yeast in the bottle is different to the primary yeast.

There's some good posts on the Grumpy's site that debate the LCPA - with the brewers from the brewery wading into the debate and giving a pretty good indication as to the recipe. Worth a search.

Cheers - Richard.

It says on their web site and has been confirmed by someone from the brewery that it is bottle conditioned but the beer is filtered and it is not the primary yeast in the bottle. Usually there is only a very light dusting at the base of the bottle. I have heard of people culturing it and claiming reasonable results but it may well be a lager yeast.

When i spoke to the brewers in melb one lucky day, they said it was a lager yeast that kept the beer cinditioned , battle any O2 and bugs etc. It was also one that would fall out and stick to the bottom of the bottle to keep the beer clear...

Lots have said that the US ale, and US ale 2 (wyeast and prob some White labs) do a good job of giving the same/similar results

Any idea which lager yeast it is?

It would be handy to know. Maybe it's the same yeast they use for the Pilsener they sell at the brewery?

Anyone? Beuller? Anyone?

Latest posts

Back