Lazy Yak - has anyone managed a good imitation?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Iirc most of those yak range all have a touch of dry hopping. I rechen a copers aust pale ale can with some dry hopping would get pretty close. Getting the hop combination right would be tbe chellange.

Yes, it's the amounts and timing of the hops that this beer is all about - at it's best the hop flavour and aroma are well balanced against the malt, which is of course low at a "mild" or "session" strength of 3.5% I've cheated a little with my second attempt and added Heritage Crystal and bumped the ABV up to about 4%

So how about a single can of aust pale ale to 20 litres with a little bit of crystal steeped . Say 150-200g.

Use this as a platform to get your NS and cascade late additions sorted. I reckon 50 grams dry hopped will give you the right aroma/flavour. Begin 50/5 and fo from there.

I actually think I nailed the flavour and aroma last brew, I ended up using a little crystal so it's darker, plus I wasn't happy with the head retention. So I've just laid down another with 250g torrified wheat - I also used slightly more of the flavour/aroma hops as leaving a few grams in the sachet is as good as throwing it out and this beer has actually got me liking a hop-forward beer.

If anyone is interested my recipe is here: https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/679210/lazy-yak-clone

The whirlpool addition was achieved by stopping the cooling water through the coil when the temperature reached 64C, stirring in the hops and putting the lid on. A couple of stirs - most especially one at the end of the 30 minute rest here. Aroma and flavour is fantastic - my son said it smells like lemonade. While he has a pretty educated palate, I took that as a great observation - he's never actually drunk wine.

This thread highlights everything that's good about the internet... trolling, useful information, and a clear indication of which users to completely ignore in the future.

"gay fruit punch effect'

Oh my lawl...

This thread highlights everything that's good about the internet... trolling, useful information, and a clear indication of which users to completely ignore in the future.

"gay fruit punch effect'

Oh my lawl...
Look up gay in the dictionary - it is an accurate image of some of the beers out there, which probably should also come with a little umbrella. I've been converted a little towards hop-forward beers, but to me they should still taste primarily like beer.

I'd apologise for any offence taken, but I'm not sorry and it's not my fault if anyone's a bit too precious.

"Lazy Yak." It's an "acceptable" beer. In that, if all you had to choose from was VB, Carlton Draught, Tooheys (and others of that ilk,) and Lazy Yak. I would not call it a great beer, or even a good beer.. it's what you'd drink if there was nothing better. Why anyone would want to recreate that is beyond me.

"Lazy Yak." It's an "acceptable" beer. In that, if all you had to choose from was VB, Carlton Draught, Tooheys (and others of that ilk,) and Lazy Yak. I would not call it a great beer, or even a good beer.. it's what you'd drink if there was nothing better. Why anyone would want to recreate that is beyond me.

Now you've done it, RobinW will be upset.

I suspect you have never tried it - probably confusing it with Fat Yak. Personally I'm not a huge fan of Wild Yak either - too fruity with the Amarillo, but I don't give a rat's if anyone else likes it.

On the other hand, you might just be one of those unable to appraise or appreciate different flavours and characters in beer - in which case I will offend you further by telling you I am putting down a Saison this weekend.

Hi pnorkle,
I agree with you that it's not my kind of beer either.

But there's different beers for different people. I am finding a lot of brewers interested in these style recipes.

Sure they aren't my thing and lots of other beers aren't either.

But this thread is about lazy yak.

Let people talk about it to craft a good example.

What's your style? Maybe go and post about that. Share with people how they can improve that style with your knowledge of what you like.

Cheers Steve

Last edited:
No crystal, no wheat, just 100% pale malt. Mash high and shoot for the 3.5% ABV

14 IBU from citra, nelson and US cascade - perhaps 2:1:2 in the whirlpool as nelson is quite strong. US05 on the cool side.

https://www.yak-ales.com.au/product/lazy-yak

I would cold crash and fine this beer to replicate the filtering.

Commercial beers are designed to withstand considerable abuse in the supply chain. The result is a shelf stable product that can be reliably consumed for a few months after packaging. This is almost impossible to replicate at a home brew scale and isn't really comparable. To be honest, I don't enjoy a 9 month old IIPA that has been left on a loading dock in the sun for a few months (happens all the time).

No crystal, no wheat, just 100% pale malt. Mash high and shoot for the 3.5% ABV

14 IBU from citra, nelson and US cascade - perhaps 2:1:2 in the whirlpool as nelson is quite strong. US05 on the cool side.

https://www.yak-ales.com.au/product/lazy-yak

I would cold crash and fine this beer to replicate the filtering.

Commercial beers are designed to withstand considerable abuse in the supply chain. The result is a shelf stable product that can be reliably consumed for a few months after packaging. This is almost impossible to replicate at a home brew scale and isn't really comparable. To be honest, I don't enjoy a 9 month old IIPA that has been left on a loading dock in the sun for a few months (happens all the time).

Checked that link. Yeah they say 100%Pale Aus Malt.

I am guessing that is a generalisation from marketing people. From memory when I have seen this beer its a gold colour. It tastes a little fuller and sweeter than say a Stone n Wood, that has no crystal.

I think there is a little light crystal / caramalt in this one. I'd use Carahell, although they are surely using an Australian light crystal.

Just my observations. I haven't sat down and pulled one apart yet.

I'll get some and have a closer look.

Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one.
But only arseholes push their opinions on other people.

To learn how to mix hops and grain it's easier to copy a known brew. You gain the knowledge of how they interact and what to change to get to the result you want. As far as I can see if you don't do something like that you'll just be making someone eases recipes for ever.

To learn how to mix hops and grain it's easier to copy a known brew. You gain the knowledge of how they interact and what to change to get to the result you want. As far as I can see if you don't do something like that you'll just be making someone eases recipes for ever.
I totally agree.. and it's a worthwhile exercise. I was just giving my opinion (although, a little rudely) on the beer chosen to replicate. Although my intention was not to offend, it seems I have manged to do just that.

Look up gay in the dictionary - it is an accurate image of some of the beers out there, which probably should also come with a little umbrella. I've been converted a little towards hop-forward beers, but to me they should still taste primarily like beer.

I'd apologise for any offence taken, but I'm not sorry and it's not my fault if anyone's a bit too precious.
Offended? No not at all.

Just out of curiosity, what exactly should a beer taste like if it doesn’t taste like a fermented mixture of malt and hops?

Offended? No not at all.

Just out of curiosity, what exactly should a beer taste like if it doesn’t taste like a fermented mixture of malt and hops?

I have been one of the great critics of the hipster "Craft" hop-forward beers. Towards the end of a long hot hard day the guy who was house-sitting locked us out of the apartment for about half an hour and when we finally got in he offered me a beer - a "Lazy Yak." Mid strength is perfect for working in the heat and I had quite an epiphany - the citric bite of the Citra, then wine-like notes from the Nelson Sauvin. I admit I am also kind of into wines, especially reds and older styles, as well as a love for "real ales," so it combined the refreshing effect of a mid with the complex journey of the hops.

I have added crystal to my version, both for colour and a touch of sweetness, and to be honest I probably should include a little more Citra in the boil, but I've produced a mild crossed with American/Australian Pale Ale style that I find I can drink quite a lot of working on a hot afternoon, or just a pint to finish of an evening.

My brewing experience has also led me to explore Berliner Weisse (a sour,) Saison and older styled "Real Ales," especially those from the Midlands which get their fruity notes from their yeasts. If I haven't offended you yet, a couple of weeks ago I had a craving for an old fashioned megaswill lager to help with some spring cleaning and actually bought a carton of Boag's Premium.

Tomorrow I am putting down a Saison with a large late dose of Czech Saaz - I will ferment quite warm to get the fruity and wine-like flavours from the yeast, which should then be balanced by the "spice-like" character of the Saaz. It's about twice the ABV of this beer, I'll just have to drink less. One final note to offend people - I will drink it from either a Tulip glass or Brandy balloon.

I have been one of the great critics of the hipster "Craft" hop-forward beers. Towards the end of a long hot hard day the guy who was house-sitting locked us out of the apartment for about half an hour and when we finally got in he offered me a beer - a "Lazy Yak." Mid strength is perfect for working in the heat and I had quite an epiphany - the citric bite of the Citra, then wine-like notes from the Nelson Sauvin. I admit I am also kind of into wines, especially reds and older styles, as well as a love for "real ales," so it combined the refreshing effect of a mid with the complex journey of the hops.

I have added crystal to my version, both for colour and a touch of sweetness, and to be honest I probably should include a little more Citra in the boil, but I've produced a mild crossed with American/Australian Pale Ale style that I find I can drink quite a lot of working on a hot afternoon, or just a pint to finish of an evening.

My brewing experience has also led me to explore Berliner Weisse (a sour,) Saison and older styled "Real Ales," especially those from the Midlands which get their fruity notes from their yeasts. If I haven't offended you yet, a couple of weeks ago I had a craving for an old fashioned megaswill lager to help with some spring cleaning and actually bought a carton of Boag's Premium.

Tomorrow I am putting down a Saison with a large late dose of Czech Saaz - I will ferment quite warm to get the fruity and wine-like flavours from the yeast, which should then be balanced by the "spice-like" character of the Saaz. It's about twice the ABV of this beer, I'll just have to drink less. One final note to offend people - I will drink it from either a Tulip glass or Brandy balloon.
cool story.