Lazy-ass Wyeast 1469

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
I pitched a TTL with 1469 about a week ago and it took off as usual with a thick creamy head of yeast - last night about 8 pm I was going to take a hydro sample to see if it was finished ( 1469 is a traditional old school top header where the yeast actually rises to the surface when the fermentation is complete - old UK breweries used to use an inverted cone with a tube at the bottom that they lowered into the brew, called a parachute to collect this yeast before racking the beer, and this is where the modern word parachute comes from, end of trivia :rolleyes: )

However just to have a closer look I gave the whole brew a good tip and swirl in the clingwrapped fermenter and I noticed that the wort was extremely - suspiciously - clear.

Came out this morning and wham.....

20120613_093526.jpg
uploaded from the Android Photobucket App

Lazy ass yeast had been having a little yeast snooze session - normally I thrash the shyte out of it a few times in the first 48 hours, I'll have to go back to doing that.

A spelling error in the post header - if you're using British English, that is :p

I assumed Bribie, always the innovator, was attempting to cross yeast with a donkey although why you wouldn't use an energetic one rather than a lazy one.

Although for a pom he does speak a much more americanised version of english than normal. Late life crisis where Bribie is reinventing himself as a hip hop artist (da sugaz)?

A spelling error in the post header - if you're using British English, that is :p

I was indeed going to use "Lazy Arse" but that gets modded nowadays .... and rightly so of course :rolleyes:
BTW that 1469 was a pack from January 2011 and swelled in 4 days. Lovely stuff.

I assumed Bribie, always the innovator, was attempting to cross yeast with a donkey although why you wouldn't use an energetic one rather than a lazy one.

Although for a pom he does speak a much more americanised version of english than normal. Late life crisis where Bribie is reinventing himself as a hip hop artist (da sugaz)?

DJ Polentaz?

I'm past da sugaz, da ricez and da polentas
My new era starts on Thursday

Da Nitro :icon_chickcheers:

I'm going to do the unthinkable, the mega heretical, the pitchforks and flaming torches ultimate grounds for excommunication....

Da TTL Smooth Pour for da smooth homies.

sSc_shocked.gif
sSc_shocked.gif
sSc_shocked.gif
sSc_shocked.gif
sSc_shocked.gif
sSc_shocked.gif
sSc_shocked.gif
sSc_shocked.gif

Thing of beauty or what?

20120613_110806.jpg

Were you the English bloke, that bittersuite tweeted about, drinking their nitro ancient battered chook?

I'd love nitro, but I might have to put what little funds I have into buying another keg or two.

I pitched a TTL with 1469 about a week ago and it took off as usual with a thick creamy head of yeast - last night about 8 pm I was going to take a hydro sample to see if it was finished ( 1469 is a traditional old school top header where the yeast actually rises to the surface when the fermentation is complete - old UK breweries used to use an inverted cone with a tube at the bottom that they lowered into the brew, called a parachute to collect this yeast before racking the beer, and this is where the modern word parachute comes from, end of trivia :rolleyes: )

However just to have a closer look I gave the whole brew a good tip and swirl in the clingwrapped fermenter and I noticed that the wort was extremely - suspiciously - clear.

Came out this morning and wham.....

20120613_093526.jpg
uploaded from the Android Photobucket App

Lazy ass yeast had been having a little yeast snooze session - normally I thrash the shyte out of it a few times in the first 48 hours, I'll have to go back to doing that.

What temp were you fermenting at?

I had a similar problem a few weeks back using Ringwood WY1187. ( April 2012 )
Fermented at 18 deg it took off alright for a couple of days then stopped. After 7 days i took a sample, FG was way too high.
I gave it a good swirl and upped temp to 20 deg.
24 hrs later I had one hell of a mess to clean up in my fermentation fridge.

Ended up with a keg of bloody tasty dark mild in the end.
:icon_cheers:

I've got 17L of a 1.075 Belgian in a 30L fermenter threatening the gladwrap at the moment.

Love the violent yeasties!

The brews in the garage are sitting on 18-19 at the moment - I normally ferment 1469 at around 17 but I put this current quirky behaviour down to me not thrashing it as usual (in the Yorkshire Stone Squares they recirculate the wort over the yeast on a "yeast deck" for the first day or so ). This yeast just loves to clump and hates making alcohol.

Edit: Ringwood is a cousin of 1469, from t'other side of Yorkshire.

The brews in the garage are sitting on 18-19 at the moment - I normally ferment 1469 at around 17 but I put this current quirky behaviour down to me not thrashing it as usual (in the Yorkshire Stone Squares they recirculate the wort over the yeast on a "yeast deck" for the first day or so ). This yeast just loves to clump and hates making alcohol.

Edit: Ringwood is a cousin of 1469, from t'other side of Yorkshire.

Thanks for the info Bribie
I thought my issues were due mainly to temperature.
I've used 1469 a few times at 18 and never had problems.

Yeah it was a surprise - the beer is for a comp in about a month and I decided to ferment it a bit high this time, so 18-20 was perfect, getting up to 21 in the first of the ferment. I'm trying to push a few esters (I prefer my bitters cleaner but BJCP wants fruity so BJCP will get fruity :p )

So I'd been expecting it to be well finished by last night.

Latest posts

Back