Quantcast

Lazy-ass Wyeast 1469

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
I pitched a TTL with 1469 about a week ago and it took off as usual with a thick creamy head of yeast - last night about 8 pm I was going to take a hydro sample to see if it was finished ( 1469 is a traditional old school top header where the yeast actually rises to the surface when the fermentation is complete - old UK breweries used to use an inverted cone with a tube at the bottom that they lowered into the brew, called a parachute to collect this yeast before racking the beer, and this is where the modern word parachute comes from, end of trivia :rolleyes: )

However just to have a closer look I gave the whole brew a good tip and swirl in the clingwrapped fermenter and I noticed that the wort was extremely - suspiciously - clear.

Came out this morning and wham.....

uploaded from the Android Photobucket App

Lazy ass yeast had been having a little yeast snooze session - normally I thrash the shyte out of it a few times in the first 48 hours, I'll have to go back to doing that.

drsmurto

Reaction score
A spelling error in the post header - if you're using British English, that is :p
I assumed Bribie, always the innovator, was attempting to cross yeast with a donkey although why you wouldn't use an energetic one rather than a lazy one.

Although for a pom he does speak a much more americanised version of english than normal. Late life crisis where Bribie is reinventing himself as a hip hop artist (da sugaz)?

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
A spelling error in the post header - if you're using British English, that is :p
I was indeed going to use "Lazy Arse" but that gets modded nowadays .... and rightly so of course :rolleyes:
BTW that 1469 was a pack from January 2011 and swelled in 4 days. Lovely stuff.

Lord Raja Goomba I

Prisoner of Sobriety
Reaction score
I assumed Bribie, always the innovator, was attempting to cross yeast with a donkey although why you wouldn't use an energetic one rather than a lazy one.

Although for a pom he does speak a much more americanised version of english than normal. Late life crisis where Bribie is reinventing himself as a hip hop artist (da sugaz)?
DJ Polentaz?

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
I'm past da sugaz, da ricez and da polentas
My new era starts on Thursday

Da Nitro :icon_chickcheers:

I'm going to do the unthinkable, the mega heretical, the pitchforks and flaming torches ultimate grounds for excommunication....

Da TTL Smooth Pour for da smooth homies.

Thing of beauty or what?

Lord Raja Goomba I

Prisoner of Sobriety
Reaction score
Were you the English bloke, that bittersuite tweeted about, drinking their nitro ancient battered chook?

I'd love nitro, but I might have to put what little funds I have into buying another keg or two.

Smokomark

Reaction score
I pitched a TTL with 1469 about a week ago and it took off as usual with a thick creamy head of yeast - last night about 8 pm I was going to take a hydro sample to see if it was finished ( 1469 is a traditional old school top header where the yeast actually rises to the surface when the fermentation is complete - old UK breweries used to use an inverted cone with a tube at the bottom that they lowered into the brew, called a parachute to collect this yeast before racking the beer, and this is where the modern word parachute comes from, end of trivia :rolleyes: )

However just to have a closer look I gave the whole brew a good tip and swirl in the clingwrapped fermenter and I noticed that the wort was extremely - suspiciously - clear.

Came out this morning and wham.....

uploaded from the Android Photobucket App

Lazy ass yeast had been having a little yeast snooze session - normally I thrash the shyte out of it a few times in the first 48 hours, I'll have to go back to doing that.
What temp were you fermenting at?

I had a similar problem a few weeks back using Ringwood WY1187. ( April 2012 )
Fermented at 18 deg it took off alright for a couple of days then stopped. After 7 days i took a sample, FG was way too high.
I gave it a good swirl and upped temp to 20 deg.
24 hrs later I had one hell of a mess to clean up in my fermentation fridge.

Ended up with a keg of bloody tasty dark mild in the end.
:icon_cheers:

Nick JD

Blah Blah Blah
Reaction score
I've got 17L of a 1.075 Belgian in a 30L fermenter threatening the gladwrap at the moment.

Love the violent yeasties!

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
The brews in the garage are sitting on 18-19 at the moment - I normally ferment 1469 at around 17 but I put this current quirky behaviour down to me not thrashing it as usual (in the Yorkshire Stone Squares they recirculate the wort over the yeast on a "yeast deck" for the first day or so ). This yeast just loves to clump and hates making alcohol.

Edit: Ringwood is a cousin of 1469, from t'other side of Yorkshire.

Smokomark

Reaction score
The brews in the garage are sitting on 18-19 at the moment - I normally ferment 1469 at around 17 but I put this current quirky behaviour down to me not thrashing it as usual (in the Yorkshire Stone Squares they recirculate the wort over the yeast on a "yeast deck" for the first day or so ). This yeast just loves to clump and hates making alcohol.

Edit: Ringwood is a cousin of 1469, from t'other side of Yorkshire.

Thanks for the info Bribie
I thought my issues were due mainly to temperature.
I've used 1469 a few times at 18 and never had problems.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
Yeah it was a surprise - the beer is for a comp in about a month and I decided to ferment it a bit high this time, so 18-20 was perfect, getting up to 21 in the first of the ferment. I'm trying to push a few esters (I prefer my bitters cleaner but BJCP wants fruity so BJCP will get fruity :p )

So I'd been expecting it to be well finished by last night.

Latest posts