Lautering Heat Loss / Efficiency

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geoffd

Reaction score
Just thought I would share these numbers as many others use plastic buckets.

Insulated with a bit of camping mat, tinfoil lid

Tun is preheated with some boiling water
Mashout is 77-80 degrees then transferred to plastic pail.

after vorlauf is complete grain bed measured 58 degrees (probably the bed lower down would be warmer due to not being exposed to cooling in the vaurlauf,

I then lautered with 90 degree (Ph 6) water

the highest I got my grain bed to rise to was 71 degrees

I generally acvhieve a brewhouse efficiency in the mid 80s sometimes in the low 90's with this set up. I was mid 70's when I didnt have the lagging jacket & my sparge water was 80 degrees.

Anyways some people might find it useful, the thermometer was an el cheapo from Aldi, $4 i think...bargain.

Gotta get back to the brewshed now.

IMG_2177.JPGIMG_2178.JPGIMG_2180.JPG

Lucky *******, I'm currently sitting in the rain with 60l in the kettle and the next batch mashing :(
Herms unit is getting a workout.

I never managed to hit 75 on mashout until I built the Herms.

Lucky *******, I'm currently sitting in the rain with 60l in the kettle and the next batch mashing :(
Herms unit is getting a workout.

I never managed to hit 75 on mashout until I built the Herms.

hope you're holding the umbrella over the beer & not yourself :)

I was brewing in a very small kitchen before I moved house, must say the best thing abount the brew shed is that your not under pressure to get things done & dusted so you can return the kitchen to communal activities. Thats aside from the other worries of course, like the missus making banana smoothies; which seems to get in more places than a dry powder fire extinguisher. Am I paranoid or is it just every non brewer is an absolute filth bag in the kitchen :)

Latest posts

Back