Latest Non-beer Gear Purchase

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbrosnan

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just had this delivered from a mob in SA called UCook. It's a gas fired smoker. I've been inspired after our all-meat tour of the US earlier this year. Anyone else got one or similar kit? Going to smoke some brisket this weekend, storm permitting of course.

DSC_0095__Medium_.JPG

Hi all,

Just had this delivered from a mob in SA called UCook. It's a gas fired smoker. I've been inspired after our all-meat tour of the US earlier this year. Anyone else got one or similar kit? Going to smoke some brisket this weekend, storm permitting of course.

Have a look in the brew food subforum Patrick, there are a heap of brewers with smokers and quite a few marinades/recipes.

cheers

Browndog

Have a look in the brew food subforum Patrick, there are a heap of brewers with smokers and quite a few marinades/recipes.

cheers

Browndog
Thanks Browndog, might repost over there.

DSC_0095__Medium_.JPG

I just have a cold smoker. Did some chicken thighs a couple of days ago...

smokedchicken2.jpg

Hi all,

How much was it and how did you make contact with them?

the pink is the smoke in it.

if you cold smoke chicken do you then have to cook it ? (it looks very pink)

i have it eaten but never smoked it ?

the pink is the smoke in it.

If you smoke it without a curing salt such as sodium nitrite, the inner flesh will actually be white when cooked as per normal cooked chicken. When you use a curing product it will remain pink when hot smoked (i.e. cooked); same goes for pork etc.

How much was it and how did you make contact with them?
It was $288 delivered to Perth from SA. That was the best price I could find. I found them by Googling "Hark Smoker". When I started looking a couple of weeks back there seemed to be a few places selling them, "ebay" and a place called "Urban Griller". Strangely they seem to have become scarce all of a sudden. From what I can understand there may be a new model on the way. Like everything they are made in China but having put it together it is pretty well constructed and it's under $300.

If you smoke it without a curing salt such as sodium nitrite, the inner flesh will actually be white when cooked as per normal cooked chicken. When you use a curing product it will remain pink when hot smoked (i.e. cooked); same goes for pork etc.
true but you will also get a pink ring in most meats without nitrates when they are smoked. thats what we are seeing there

true but you will also get a pink ring in most meats without nitrates when they are smoked. thats what we are seeing there

No, that is cured with a brine of Lesnies Royal Ham Cure, a nitrite based cure. I pumped it with a large syringe and marinated as well for 3 days.

It has been brought up to 60C internal temp in the smoker and is quite safe to eat without further cooking, pretty damn tasty with Jatz and cheese really.

Think of chicken ham.

Hi all,

Smoker looks good and look forward to hearing about your results but I do suggest not smoking in your dining room :D

Got mine at Aldi for $200.00! Love it.

Back