Latest health fad/wankfest?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lager Bloke

Reaction score
BF8BA498-FE3A-477D-A68F-364CBC0F9FBF.jpeg
BF8BA498-FE3A-477D-A68F-364CBC0F9FBF.jpeg
Dropped in to woollies to grab coffee and lunch stuff for tomorrow,this was in the coffee shelves-I’d say it was from another area of the store.I think I’ll keep getting my sprinkle in my life once it’s done it’s work in the wort,Rob.

Attachments

• 7614A6A6-01E4-4C7C-8DAE-5BEE263C980B.jpeg
    7614A6A6-01E4-4C7C-8DAE-5BEE263C980B.jpeg
    501.7 KB · Views: 123
Great to see that they're looking after those who dont have enough yeast in their lives!
Theres an another new product that makes me laugh, remember when ppl used to say about Maccas and Hungry Jacks ''You know that's not real cheese'' and now Hungry Jacks have a vegan cheese burger.
Who would have thought that the fake cheese would become a sales pitch?

I’m not a Vegan, I’ll probably never be a Vegan, but I’m constantly amazed at what Vegan chefs can do.
I went to a Vegan degustation at Craft beer bar Baby Mammoth in Perth and was blown away by some of the dishes, one of which featured Savoury Yeast.
Don’t knock what you haven’t tried.

I remember "Brewers Yeast" being a food supplement when I was a kid (1960's), so its not new.
Actually a good source of Vitamin B and lots of other stuff, this doesn't mean I like the taste, or will ever be putting it in my coffee
Agree the number of fad foods and newly discovered ancient ingredients that you just need to buy if you want to live forever - well I might have to strangle the next twit who tells me to eat Goji Berries or Kale.....
Mark

Well @MHB I'm a fair distance away so probably safe. :)

The kale is no fad and proven to be beneficial - doesn't have to be kale though - most fresh leafy greens will do the job.
Chard, Spinach, lettuce, weeds - whatever you like. The red coloured ones have more antioxidants in them.
Goji etc. I'm not sold although I use goji leaves in curries and stir fries sometimes.

The one a lot of folks I speak with are pushing atm is Moringa. I think it's native to India and there are claims it can fix just about everything.
Doesn't taste good to me - so I'll not be using it.

edit: yes I said weeds - I like to add a little dandelion, sorrel and other weeds to salads especially and everyone loves them because they are flavoursome, not like that iceberg lettuce from the supermarket!

I did read once that the word weed came from the Norse language weods, meaning herbs. I agree that greens are extremely good for one, rich in iron, spinach, stinging nettles even better. Problem is our bodies cannot readily absorb the iron from greens! A cup of tea drunk within an hour of eating greens will eliminate the iron content the body is expecting to retrieve. Eat red meat and liver to keep up the vitamin B12 and just enjoy the greens.

Funny enough I find myself agreeing with WEAL.
A good balanced diet is the best, Kale is just another form of cabbage, no more or less beneficial than brussels sprouts.
What I loth is the faddishness and the way people follow along with what ever is the latest trend.
Mark

I like new stuff.
When I was a kid it was well done meat and 3 veg boiled to oblivion. Fish and chips was the only takeaway.
Screw that. Fads, trends, greenies and vegans and Keto, whatever, bring it on.

I like new stuff.
When I was a kid it was well done meat and 3 veg boiled to oblivion. Fish and chips was the only takeaway.
Screw that. Fads, trends, greenies and vegans and Keto, whatever, bring it on.

Damn you must be older than me!
I grew up with curried chips (the "curry" sat in a big stockpot for days/weeks)
A bit of "English Chinese" food - you know, bright red sweet and sour pork, beef in black bean etc.
And Indian takeaway which cost a bit more and burned a hole in your stomach (again far from traditional)

You are correct though - some of those vegan places can produce very tasty stuff, I just hate the "fake meat" things many still do.
It's not meat why try and make it look or sound like it is.
Give me a kale, black bean and avocado burrito - not a pretend sausage.

I agree with @MHB though a balanced diet is best, and @wide eyed and legless Red meat is a great source of Iron BUT
(you knew that was coming :) ) Most Aussies eat way too much red meat, far more than is good for us.
eg. just look at the cancer councils findings on red meat.
I've halved my red meat intake but love a good steak as much as the next bloke, or beef cheeks, or liver and onions or .......
I just try and do it no more than 2 or 3 times a week - rest of the time use other proteins and 1 day a week no meat at all.

My way of balancing the diet, not for everyone.

Totally agree on the “fake” meat, why bother !
My mum (English) made curry, boiled rice with Keene’s curry powder and sultanas. I cringe when I think of it.
Diet is weird, Jordon Peterson has an immune disorder, he cured it eating meat, just meat indeed I believe it’s just beef and some salt. Now he’s no idiot or fad follower so I assume it works but probably for only a few.
I myself could live on whale blubber and never get cholesterol problems, others eat salad and beans and still have to take medication, one size doesn’t fit all and never has.

I'm gonna bottle my yeast cakes and take it down to the organic shop.

market it as a beer flavored yeast protein drink "chunky hop flavor" for added vitamins

I'm gonna bottle my yeast cakes and take it down to the organic shop.

market it as a beer flavored yeast protein drink "chunky hop flavor" for added vitamins
Make sure it's "organic" then it will sell for way more :)

Contains high levels of B vitamins, totally natural "superfood"

True about the cholesterol just doesn't hang around in some peoples bodies, recently had a cholesterol check weighed in at 3.8 my wife on the other hand only has to look at a piece of cheese and her cholesterol will go up.
One of the best superfoods would have to be tripe, packed full of minerals, but it all comes back to a balanced diet, and avoiding the processed and smoked meat. (hope that doesn't include Rob's Black Pudding)
Hippocrates said, Food should be our medicine and medicine should be our food.

Funny enough I find myself agreeing with WEAL.
A good balanced diet is the best, Kale is just another form of cabbage, no more or less beneficial than brussels sprouts.
What I loth is the faddishness and the way people follow along with what ever is the latest trend.
Mark

Like NEIPAs.....

Latest posts

Back