Latest Byo Magazine

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray_Mills

The Old Man of Brew
Reaction score
Munting Ilog, Silang, Cavite, Philippines
Hi all

I don't know how many of you subscibe to the BYO mag but the latest issue is very good.

Its a good issue on hops, has 13 clone IPA recipes, interviews a number of Pro Brewers on using hops, a great article on managing bitterness as well as recipes and articles on Old Ale and Scottish Ales. Building a hop transduce, plus Herms & Rims. (don't ask me questions as I have not read them yet)

Only got the mag yesterday and I must say its getting better. One thing about all the recipes is you can run them through promash or what ever you use and they are spot on. I brewed a Dry Irish Stout early this year from a recipe and I must admit it was a great beer (I have this habit of drinking them). All recipes are mash and extract.

For you brewers looking for a good mag this is the one. (might ask them for a job Downunder)

Cheers
Ray

Does anybody know whether this is available anywhere in Brisbane?? At a brew shop, newsagent or whatever??
I am sure that I could get a copy sent up from down south.... maybe I could subscribe.

dreamboat

Ray,

Yes I was happy when I got home and mine was waiting for me. As soon as I saw the cover I knew it would be a good one. Unfortunately I forgot to bring it to work to read over lunch :angry:
I think the DogfishHead 90 minute recipe might get a working over soon too :D

Beers,
Doc

hi doc and ray

outta curiosity do you recieve your byo on subscription from the states and if so is it up to date or has it a month or so lag time.

cheers
big d

Bigd,

It is up to date. Almost ahead of schedule actually.
The picture on their website for the latest issue is the last issue.
I think the current issue is Sept/Oct and it arrived yesterday.

Beers,
Doc

Anyone know if / where / how i can get a copy in melb??

Go to their website and subscribe, it aint that expensive, and the worst editions still an interesting read IMO.

I think there is a large saving subscribing over what i hear people pay for it at borders

Looking forward to going home now ..... mine must be waiting for me

Adelaide Borders is about $11.50 Aus, if you are quick and get there before the 2 copies sell out!

Subscription works out to about $7 aus per issue - guess who just subscribed??

How many issues do you receive in a year (thru subscription)?

Jase

Yeah, did the maths and subscribed too Wee Stu! I've been thinking about it for a while and this thread pushed me over the edge to actually do it. Hope it is good now :blink:

Shawn.

Hi Doc
Was looking at the Dogfish Head recipe my self as the last Imperial IPA I made the bitterness is way too harsh. The secret with these beers is the bittering hops. Called into ESB yesterday and had a chat with Mel about the bitterness.
He gave me a few suggestions for hops to use. Northern Brewer would be one. POR would be too harsh. I am thinking of Perle.
Let me know what you think.
Cheers
Ray

Ray,

I've done a number of imperial beers lately and from my research and experience it seems to be the hops you use should have a low cohumulone level. That way you avoid the harsh bitterness.
I've been using a lot of cascade, amarillo, chinook and some simcoe.

A good read on highly hopped beers is also in this topic here.

Beers,
Doc

Didn't realise it worked out to be quite affordable. Just subscribed :p

me too, looking foward to having something else brewing related to waste my time on....

dreamboat

It seems strange that you can get a gift subscription of 2 years but normal subscription is only 1 year?

is the mag on the www.byo.com the current mag described on the first post eg rims and herms systems etc

I am subscribing (b-day gift) but not sure if i will get this issue, and i cant find it anywhere in melb :(

The BYO cover currently on byo.com is not the issue that arrived last week.
The issue that arrive last week has the HERMS/RIM article in it. The cover has 13 I2PA's in a row on the cover with a hop flower on top of the beer head.

Beers,
Doc

I would like to read this article too Ben , perhaps some kind AHB would scan it and post it on the forum :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back