Late Specialty Grain Addition Ok ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cactus

Reaction score
Hi all.

Quick question (longer explaination), is it OK to add some steeped Crystal to my fermenter after fermentation has started ? Will it still help the brew ?

Essentially I left the steeped grain out of my recipe, was trying to do too many things at once and forgot.

2 x Light LME cans
250g each Dex and maltodextrin.
Hop aditions at 30, 20 and 10 mins to my 1/3 can and 5L water boil

I would like to get a bit more colour and mouthfeel so intended to steep 250g of cracked medium crystal. It went into fermenter yesterday afternoon so will be about 24 hours into fermentation when I next get to it. Medium rate bubbling had started this morning when I said goodbye.

Pointless ? Save them till next time ? Any opinions appreciated. (Had a quick search but couldn't find anyone who'd made the same mistake in the past).

Cheers !

Yes, you can indeed add stuff to the fermenter like that, however it MUST be sanitary! So steep in say half to one litre of warm water, drain, boil and then cool the liquor, add it when it is about the same temperature as the fermenter contents.

Latest posts

Back