Late Hop Additions And Dry Hopping

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dazzling

Reaction score
Hi all, got one of the famous skunkfart pale ales in the primary at the minute. as most would know these recipes call for vast amounts of cascade hop additions late in the boil. I guess this is a general question for all brews, but if you are planning to dry hop should you ease off on the late additions in the boil, or leave the late additions and dry hop as well?

and for the record, my first AG which was also a skunkfart recipe turned out a treat, love it :party:

.....Dazzling

I'm not sold on the dry hopping, I have had my best results with late additions only.

After making quite a few APAs, I've come to the conclusion that dry hopping is wrong for this style, particularly if you're using Cascade. I now reserve dry hopping only for English bitters and the occasional Belgian Ale.

Cheers - Snow

I have just recently tried dry hopping using cascade in an apa, and it had what others on this forum decribed as a grassy taste to it, but after a few weeks the taste improved. It sort of happened between 1 bottle and the next. I thought maybe my tastebuds were getting used to the grassy taste, so I started drinking porters for a few days then went back to the apa and it tasted good.

cheers

nifty

I don't dry hop at all, i much prefer chucking them in the kettle at the end, I won't try and explain why right now but i just do.

If you want to dry hop you could i guess drop the flame out additions, still use the 5-15 mins additions though.
I have heard plenty of brewers around that would say there is no point doing both dry hop and flame out hops but i can't really comment as i just don't dry hop at all. I sure do get plenty of aroma out of finsihing hops in the kettle though.

Anyway dazzling eitherway you go about it you can't really go wrong, stuff as much aroma hops in there as you think you need. You shouldn't need to dry hop to get the beer to be at its best though.

Misty mountain hop
Jayse

I have to say like a dry hop with cascade in an ale.
I remember the first time I tried this with the Coopers India Pale ale.

cheers
johnno

Back