Laser Eye Surgery

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3GumsBrewing

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am thinking about getting this done finally, compounded by what happened during yesterdays brew day - i was adding the 20 min hops to a Citra SMASH, the glasses fogged up, i whacked them on top of my head and they proptly fell in the boil. I am sick to death of glasses and contacts!!

So anyone had Laser Eye Surgery, how was it and has anyone had it done in Sydney?

Cheers
DK

B)

Hi All,

I am thinking about getting this done finally, compounded by what happened during yesterdays brew day - i was adding the 20 min hops to a Citra SMASH, the glasses fogged up, i whacked them on top of my head and they proptly fell in the boil. I am sick to death of glasses and contacts!!

So anyone had Laser Eye Surgery, how was it and has anyone had it done in Sydney?

Cheers
DK

B)

Sorry, DK, can't offer any help with the surgery, but your post gave me a good chuckle :lol:

Not had it done myself, but a mate had it done a few years ago and he swears by the results.

We were only talking about it a few weeks ago and he said that he may need to get it done again as things are deteriating a little.

Cost around 4K and it seems, well in my mates case anyhow, you will need to get it done every 5 years ar so.

Cheers
Q

I haven't had it done myself but I know quite a few people who have. Most of them swear it's just one day and it's like the surgery never happened - perfect vision, no side effects. A few complain about seeing halos around lights at night (like the headlights of an oncoming car). A friend still sees halos with one eye and the other is perfect. He had the surgery about 15 years ago. That's the only complaint I've ever heard of.

Most people I know who've had it done say its the best $5K they've spent. I've been kicking the idea around for ages, but I am not that annoyed by glasses or contacts. Let us know how you go, another happy customer may sway me to take the plunge.

Cheers,
Greg

My dad had it at 62 years old last year and swears by it too. think he had one eye done one week and the other the other week.

My suggestion would be to have one eye done at a time.

A bloke at work had them both done and had some problems healing (he got better though thankfully).

The issue he had meant he basically spent 6 weeks having both eyes covered until they recovered. It drove him absolutely nuts.

Also - have a look at some of the YouTube videos. Or not if you're squeamish :p

Rob.

There's different kinds. Some of them are not recommended if you're into scuba diving or driving very fast planes as they can split back open when subjected to pressure changes and things like that. I think the same ones are the ones that can give halos at night time. I think it's the one where they cut a big circle flap. This is the one that heals quickly though.

There's another one where they sort of make a hole that they don't close over after, it just naturally grows back, but it hurts more and takes more time in recovery, but this one has better long term effects and properly heals apparently.

Also there's some massive variance in prices these days and I've heard it's not just because of quality differences, but just different procedures which may even be better.

It's worth doing heaps of research. I've heard of it being as cheap as $800 an eye for example.

My Uncle had it done about 5 years ago to both eyes, at different times, and he now only needs glasses to read. He used to be 14-15 power on his prescription (or whatever it is) and the only guy who would do it was at the southern eye centre at Hurstville. The Dr had to change his cataract lenses to be able to do laser correction. Had one eye done one week and the other the next.

Still says it was the best thing he's ever done.

If I had the cash I would get it done in a flash.

Farside.

I had one eye done in Adelaide 2000... second one done in Melbourne (Vista Eyes) 2008. Best money I have ever spent! Even with the one eye done I could see better than most people. Only problem I had was with driving when checking my blind spot with the untreated eye so thought it would be safer to get the other one done too. I can't even remember what it was like to wear glasses every day now! do it man!

i think there's a thread somewhere on this topc. a few of us have considered it. $ seems to be the biggest issue.

a good friend of mine had her eye done last? year and was completely out of it for a whole week becuase of the pain killers. post that week she couldnt be happier. she had pretty big persciption so it was great for her.

from memory they dont reccomend you have it donme if you eye sight is likely to deteriorate over time as you will have to have it done again. but they cant tell that unless you go in for a consult. most of the providers do free initial consults. I know medownick does. i was going to go have a consult but dont have the $ so its kinda pointless.

Thanks guys, I have really been hammering the research this weekend, found some pretty good deals out ther cost wise, there is a mob in nth syd that is currently having a half price sale , works out to be around 1250 per eye. There is another lot on chatswood that is around 3k per eye.
Since the health fund does not cover the procedure I was happy to read that you can get 20% in the dollar back in your tax return for any medical expences over $1500 in a year. Could work out to be a few hundred back in the pocket!

I'll let you know once I find out more.

Cheers
DK

My accounts girl had hers done about 4 years ago. She used to wear glasses like jam jars before. Now she has no need for glasses and wishes she had done it a decade ago. She was about 3 days not able to see anything and about a fortnight before she was 100% happy.

Both of mums parents have had laser surgery. Nana had one done then 12 months later had the second done (she was 86 when she had the first done)
Pop, who lost an eye to a dart on christmas day when he was 4, had his remaining eye done about 4 months ago. Its been life changing for him. He is 88 and his eyesight had deteriorated so bad that he was sitting less than 2 feet from his 42" LCD screen so he could read the text at the bottom of the screen. He couldnt recognise/distinguish between myself, my brother and dad. You could tell it was upsetting him as he was getting very agitated and none of us wanted to be around him cause all he wated to do was argue because of his built up frustration with himself. This is very out of character for him. Compound this with his loss of hearing (now partially rectified thanks to a new hearing aid) at the same time and you can understand that his quality of life had severly deteriorated rapidly. Since having the surgery he can walk around unassisted. Is sitting back about 7 feet from the TV and can even see the tennis ball / foot ball / soccer ball on the screen which he hasn't been able to do for years. He can distinguish all of us from one another and he is back to his jovial irish self.

Would I recommend it based on my experiance with others having had the surgery - heck yes!

Of course there are risks as there are with any surgery so I would suggest one eye then the other rather than having both done at once.

there is a mob in nth syd that is currently having a half price sale , works out to be around 1250 per eye.

My wife is keen to get this done.
Which one in Nth Sydney DK ?

Beers,
Doc

Thanks guys, I have really been hammering the research this weekend, found some pretty good deals out ther cost wise, there is a mob in nth syd that is currently having a half price sale , works out to be around 1250 per eye. There is another lot on chatswood that is around 3k per eye.
Since the health fund does not cover the procedure I was happy to read that you can get 20% in the dollar back in your tax return for any medical expences over $1500 in a year. Could work out to be a few hundred back in the pocket!

I'll let you know once I find out more.

Cheers
DK

Beating ruddy to the punch! 3k compared to $1250... I hope the latter is not dodgy. If its good I may have to hit you up for the details!

Best of luck with it, had a few mates who have had it done, all went well, no issues at all.

Both my oldies had it done.
Apparently for their one they only needed one eye done each. The other adjusts and does whatever. but they've had no probs at all since doing it.

Back