Larger Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OOlsen

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have been brewing for a while (about 10 years on and off), however it has only been recently that I have actually tryed to make good beer, ie particular styles...
I have made a few beers from those wonderful liquid type yeasts with great success.
I wondered if anyone could help me in regard to starting larger yeast off in the wort.
I have made up starter cultures at room temp., using powdered light malt and then placed the starter in my fridge, set as low as 8 degrees C +/- 1 degree, to reduced the temp of the starter to the same as my wort. My rational is to avoid a temperature shock to the yeast.
The problem is the yeast wont kick off, even after about 24 hours.
I have then raised the temp of the whole thing to about 20 degrees and within the next 24 hours it starts. I then drop the temp again and it continues merrily.
The yeast I am using is Wyeast 2308, Munich Larger.
Should I start the wort of at 20 degrees then drop the temp???? (this is what I plan to do next time), Or is there something fundamental I am overlooking...

Owen

How big was your starter ? Did it reach krausen before pitching into the wort ? Did you aerate the wort prior to pitching ?

Cheers

I pitch my lager starters into warm (23-25C) wort, then put the fermenter in the lager fridge. We want the yeast to get used to our wort and do any budding as quick as possible, this happens quicker at warmer temps. We want to give our yeast a flying start ovcer bacteria etc.

By the time the yeast would start to generate fruity esters the wort is at lager temps and so none are actually created.

Jovial Monk

Cold pitching yeast thread

Have a read through this thread. Also do a search on the site using the words cold and lager.

If you get a chance, borrow or buy a copy of Noonan's "New Brewing Lager Beer."

There has been lots of debate about cold or warm pitching lagers and the benefits and disadvantages of each way. Make sure with your lagers you pitch enough yeast as lager yeasts reproduce at about half the rate of ale yeasts and therefore need to be pitched at twice the rate of ales.

WY2308, Munich lager, from Wyeast notes, this yeast works at 48-56 deg F, which is 9-13 deg C. So your 8 degrees may be a bit cold for the yeast. next time aim for 10 degrees and see if this helps.

Thank you all for the help. there is so much good info via that tread from Pint.

Owen

Latest posts

Back