Large Scale Stir Plate

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pagey

Reaction score
Hey guys. Well I like doing lagers and I like fermenting in low temps with high gravitates so its been important to run starters and big ones. This is overkill for the regular 1.050 lager but I've run it at 1.5L and it works very well...
So for the big 60mm bar I actually mounted two hard drive magnets to the fan in opposing poles.
03494BD3.jpg

Wired in a 12v switch with an indicator light to ensure I know when it is operational. Few cable ties and we were done inside..
761413C9.jpg

The best part is the simplicity. The power supply has an adjustable voltage output so I did not have to wire in any speed regulator..
D9280BD4.jpg

And I was surprised at the power. Fan is a $9 90mm computer fan. Nothing special...
This is running 4L.
First pic is 6Volts.
C9C261A7.jpg

And this is 9Volts. Power supply goes to 12 but I doubt it's required..
A59F66FD.jpg

No problems spinning evenly, with the magnets unevenly weighted like that?

My little SP runs a 2.5L starter at 2.8v ... Perhaps the weight of that rig requires more power to overcome the friction of the rig itself, plus pull the stir bar in dense (ish) liquid?

Just a thought.

No problems spinning evenly, with the magnets unevenly weighted like that?

That was my initial thought too. It looks like it has the potential to eventually shake something loose (inside or on top! :eek: ), or at least cause premature wear of the bearing.

Cheers,
tallie

noisy? i have been thinking about getting the dumbell style stir bars for my 5l starters. Nice use of hdd platter there too

Looks pretty good Pagey.
I can't take any credit for mine as I bought it but for making 5lt starters, it's got heaps of grunt.
If anyone is looking to get an off the shelf unit, these IEC stir plates are awesome.
I am only running this with a 40mm stir bar & 3/4 throttle.

20130111_163352_zps4c2e93ea.jpg

20130111_163339_zps48168fc6.jpg

Yeah it's a little off centre but it doesn't move around that much. I have 3 spare fans cause they were $9 so if it carks it I'll throw in a new one...

Anyway GET THIS.!

I was just boiling up my starter and BANG.!!!!

My Erlenmeyer cracked.!!!

DCF772BF.jpg

Bummer about the flask. Nevertheless, $9 for a PC fan is outrageous imo. You should be able to source them a lot cheaper than that.

Bummer about the flask. Nevertheless, $9 for a PC fan is outrageous imo. You should be able to source them a lot cheaper than that.

Hahaha.... Damn straight..! But if I keep blowing up $55 flasks nothing else will matter.! I emptied it and saw a few hot spots of burnt wort so perhaps I was going a bit too hard and it wasn't touching the electric element evenly....

I'll be throwing the new flask on the kettle burner... Grrr.....

unlucky, i was worried about gas but haven't had a problem yet. Maybe use a heating mat from your home ware stores for even heat distribution

Seems Overkill for a 5L stirrer. My computer fan based stirplate using Lethal's circuit from the 'Tightarse stirplate thread' spins up 5L without a drama. Almost as well as the IEC stirrer pic posted above, but either way, more than enough vortex to facilitate oxygen exchange, CO2 beating.

Latest posts

Back