Laptop Cooling Pad As A Stir Plate

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pommy Matt

Reaction score
Looking to build a stirplate soon having borrowed one recently to make a starter. Came across these "laptop cooling pads" while looking for a suitable fan online. Seems to me, they are pretty much a stirlplate without the magnets and the speed controller - ie, they're mounted and run off USB power - given I've already got a couple of USB power out wall plugs, that's me sorted. The only downside is that most of them seem to be slanted slightly, so that would need correcting.
My question really is, has anyone tried using one, and how to go about installing the speed control? I see some already have variable fans, but they are quoteing 750-1500RPM so that would need lowered. I'm guessing the cheaper units might be cheaply built and not easy to modify.. On the plus side, you get a power switch and LED lights :) - and they're cheap!

here's a link to a couple of examples:

http://www.crazysales.com.au/intex-laptop-...m=cpc&aid=3

and a more expensive adjustable one that looks like it might actually go flat:
http://www.dinodirect.com/laptop-cooling-p...+Pad+for+Notebo

I see no reason why it would not work, but essentially you're just getting the fan and an enclosure for that price - still need the speed-control and power supply (so I don't think the $30 one would be worth the price).

I see no reason why it would not work, but essentially you're just getting the fan and an enclosure for that price - still need the speed-control and power supply (so I don't think the $30 one would be worth the price).

Yeah I guess you're right - if the enclosure was level then that $10 one would be OK I guess, but its still another $6 to get it shipped. The USB power appeals just because I already have an outlet, and you do get a power switch and light as well - but actually it looks like it might not come apart too easily so I might pass!

Back