Lancer Cobra/Iridium style font - Beer line change

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshF

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have recently obtained a 3 tap font which is apparently made by Lancer. I took the whole thing to Andale and they pretty much said because its a competitor font they couldn't help me and that none of their snaplock adaptors would fit. I've only read and heard conflicting stories ever since.

I have not been able to locate or source any kind of adaptor fitting like the attached photos. In addition to this, i was hoping to change the beer lines because when i got the font it was covered in mud and crap and god knows what else.

If anyone could point me in the direction of:

a) what the adaptor fitting is and if this lancer thread is different to those produced by andale?
b) if there is a removal tool needed for the female thread part that is fixed to the font itself? Those 2 holes next to the beer line looks like it needs some kind of special tool?
c) any walkthroughs or guides for this particular type of font? It looks like it's called an iridium font but emails and calls to lancer have proven pointless. I was advised that they don't sell to the public and they just weren't overly helpful at all, likely because i'm not providing them with the kind of revenue they would receive from a 10 tap fitout at a pub but some customer service wouldn't go astray.

thanks in advance for any help guys, much appreciated.

cheers,
Josh

tmp_20028-IMG_20141126_2123402005353072.jpg

tmp_20028-IMG_20141126_212633-393320407.jpg

Bump. No one knows how to change the beer lines on this???

On your first photo, it looks like there is beer line in place already. I'd push/pull that out, and feed line in through that hole. It looks like that ring around it would turn with a tool, like you said. Can you bodgy something up in the shed to shift it? Or get the ends of a needle nose plier in there to act as a handle to twist it?

Thanks Nick, yeah there is line in place already but it was filthy and the state in which i got the beer font itself was covered in mud and crap so i'd get peace of mind just changing it completely. Plus its 4mm line which i only realised AFTER i bought 9m of 5mm flexmaster line :(

I've tried pretty much everything i can to remove that particular fitting. the needle nose plyers trick i've already tried but that thing is on so bloody tight i've got a suspicion it might be glued in there. Is that a common thing for bars or beer plumbers to do?

thanks again!

Has anyone got a solution for this, I now have the exact same problem. Is this piece threaded on? Or do I just need to pry it loose with something. ( It certainly feels stuck.)

If you are referring to the plate with the two holes in them
upload_2020-1-21_8-4-2.png

Put the tips of a pair of needle nose plyers into the holes, use a shifter to get some leverage and unscrew the plug.

One tip, have the right size line before you start (usually 4X7mm), cut the end of the both the old and new line at an angle. Poke a couple of holes through the pointy ends you have created, far enough back to have some strength, join the new line to the old with a bit of wire (I've used a small paper clip, a snip of TIG rod...).
Feed the new line up from the bottom and gently pull the old line out of the top, not pulling the new line so much as guiding it, the insides of some fonts can be complicated and if you pull the old line out and think the new one will go where you want - well have fun.
Good idea to make all the lines the same length to give a balanced flow, very good idea to cut all the lines a bit longer than you thing you will need, about 1/2-1 meter is good.

If this isn't the problem take some pictures of what you are trying to accomplish and we'll see if we can help.
Mark

You are a champion thanks Mark. I couldn’t even determine if it was threaded, I will give your instructions a go.

A6D44F4F-BE0B-4711-9B3C-88CD6AC04A38.jpeg
marks instructions worked. See pic it’s threaded. standard john guest style fitting from there.

There came a stranger to Walgett town,
To Walgett town when the sun was low,
And he carried a thirst that was worth a crown,
Yet how to quench it he did not know;
But he thought he might take those yokels down,
The guileless yokels of Walgett town.
They made him a bet in a private bar,
In a private bar when the talk was high,
And they bet him some pounds no matter how far
He could pelt a stone, yet he could not shy
A stone right over the river so brown,
The Darling River at Walgett town.

He knew that the river from bank to bank
Was fifty yards, and he smiled a smile
As he trundled down; but his hopes they sank,
For there wasn’t a stone within fifty mile;
For the saltbush plain and the open down
Produce no quarries in Walgett town.

The yokels laughed at his hopes o’erthrown,
And he stood awhile like a man in a dream;
Then out of his pocket he fetched a stone,
And pelted it over the silent stream –
He’d been there before; he had wandered down
On a previous visit to Walgett town.

Been There Before
Banjo Patterson

Thanks, happy to help, mind you been doing this stuff for a very long time so I hope to have learned a thing or two, sometimes from very frustrating experience. Good to see you keep an attitude adjuster handy, a hammer is one of the basics in any tool kit.
Mark

Hello, I have this exact font too. Relining it as well. i found the trick to releasing those fittings is bent nose pliers, gives you better leverage.

Back