Lallemand Cbc-1 "yeast For Cask And Bottle Conditioning"

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bizier

Petite Mutant
Reaction score
Has anyone tried the dry Lallemand CBC-1 "yeast for cask and bottle conditioning"

http://www.danstaryeast.com/products/cbc-1...oned-beer-yeast

Suggests good flocc, alc tolerance, speed and neutrality, though better as a priming/refermenting strain than primary. Reading between the lines, the latter point suggests to me that it is not going to attenuate complex sugars well in a primary fermentation.

My first thought is to use it to brighten up a US05 fermentation.

I am keen to hear if anyone has any experience with this strain.

I've been trying to get my hands on this yeast but from my experience, none has been imported into Australia yet through the two Lallemand distributors.

If you're looking to brighten up a US05 fermentation then this yeast won't help you. You'll need to use something like Brewbrite or gelatine - some sort of fining agent.

Hope that helps!

Hendo

I was talking to the guys that distribute Lallemand here in Australia earlier this week about this and the BRY-97 American West Coast Yeast.
The West Coast should be available in Sachet in the next couple of months and as soon as it is everyone will hear about it.
I doubt the Cask and Bottle yeast will ever be done in sachet it really is an industrial product designed to be used post pasteurisation and filtration, just to put the fizz in without changing the profile of the beer at all.
If you are looking for a yeast to do this job I would use S-04 for low to medium alcohol beers and possibly S-33 for higher alcohol beers, tho I dont really see the point for home brewers were we arent trying to keep our yeast a secret or shipping our beer all over the county and wanting it to be stable for a year or so.
Mark

Bizier said:
Has anyone tried the dry Lallemand CBC-1 "yeast for cask and bottle conditioning"

http://www.danstaryeast.com/products/cbc-1...oned-beer-yeast

Suggests good flocc, alc tolerance, speed and neutrality, though better as a priming/refermenting strain than primary. Reading between the lines, the latter point suggests to me that it is not going to attenuate complex sugars well in a primary fermentation.

My first thought is to use it to brighten up a US05 fermentation.

I am keen to hear if anyone has any experience with this strain.
used this yet bizier or heard anymore about it? i'd be keen as i don't like increasing the alcohol content of my beers. i can't keg so have to bottle condition and by doing so i'm always adding an additional 0.5%ish which sometimes plays havoc in trying to get beers spot on for their styles.

having said that, this would still do the same thing right? it has to ferment something for carbonating purposes yes?

Hi Fletcher, yes, you're right. This yeast would still attenuate your priming agent and so increase your ABV.

fletcher said:
used this yet bizier or heard anymore about it? i'd be keen as i don't like increasing the alcohol content of my beers. i can't keg so have to bottle condition and by doing so i'm always adding an additional 0.5%ish which sometimes plays havoc in trying to get beers spot on for their styles.

having said that, this would still do the same thing right? it has to ferment something for carbonating purposes yes?
Formulate your recipe for .5%-ish less ABV...
Sheesh, you are sailing close to the wind if .5% plays havoc with a styles guidelines...

NewtownClown said:
Formulate your recipe for .5%-ish less ABV...
Sheesh, you are sailing close to the wind if .5% plays havoc with a styles guidelines...
i usually do but i think for some reason the drops i'm using, or my measurements somewhere are a bit out. i feel as though the beers are always stronger than what i work them out to be.

fletcher said:
i usually do but i think for some reason the drops i'm using, or my measurements somewhere are a bit out. i feel as though the beers are always stronger than what i work them out to be.
Lightweight... :)
We are now Off Topic and risking the ire on the mods. Will chat about this tonight if you are still coming around

i like this yeast in question. it's good. (on topic enough? haha)

and yes, i'll see ya then!

Latest posts

Back