Lagers - Pitching Cold With Dry Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozpowell

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I've been wondering about this for a while and have been unable to find a definitive answer to date (either here or in any of the brewing literature I have).

When brewing lagers, I want to pitch my yeast into the wort after I have chilled the wort to fermentation temps (10 to 13 C). I understand that when using dried lager yeast it is best to rehydrate at around 24 C.

My question is, for those of you who pitch their rehydrated dried lager yeast into cooled wort - do you slowly chill the yeast slurry and then pitch, or do you dump the 24C slurry straight into the cooled wort? Wouldn't the latter risk shocking the yeast?

Thanks.

Hi Guys,

I've been wondering about this for a while and have been unable to find a definitive answer to date (either here or in any of the brewing literature I have).

When brewing lagers, I want to pitch my yeast into the wort after I have chilled the wort to fermentation temps (10 to 13 C). I understand that when using dried lager yeast it is best to rehydrate at around 24 C.

My question is, for those of you who pitch their rehydrated dried lager yeast into cooled wort - do you slowly chill the yeast slurry and then pitch, or do you dump the 24C slurry straight into the cooled wort? Wouldn't the latter risk shocking the yeast?

Thanks.

Only rehydrating not fermenting so I rehydrate cool then pitch, I have rehydrated at ambient then popped it into the fermentation fridge for few hrs to attemporate before pitching. You could probably sprinkle straight on top as long as you use enough dried yeast.

Screwy

I have used dry yeast a lot in the past :p and I just used to rehydrate with tap water, so I guess that was around 15 - 20 deg C, stir it up and let it sit for 5 or 10 mins, then I always used to pitch a little warmer, like at about 18 - 20 deg C then cool down to 10 or 12 over then next 24 hours. I found that it would take a bit longer than I liked to fire up if I pitched cold. But thats just me, I like to see the fermentation kick off ASAP, and there is no danger (IMO) of creating any off flavours during that first 14 or so hours during the yeast reproductive stage. Either way its just beer, it will be fine no matter what u do.

Steve

I use a double satchet of lager yeast straight from the fridge & sprinkle on top of the 12c wort.
No rehydrating, no stirring, no aeration..... works great everytime :)

cheers Ross

I use a double satchet of lager yeast straight from the fridge & sprinkle on top of the 12c wort.
No rehydrating, no stirring, no aeration..... works great everytime :)

cheers Ross

+1 here. I find the yeast is old enough to know where it needs to go!

I did this just the other day, 1 sachet 34/70 directly pitched into 10 degree wort in da frudge. Still waiting for the signs of krausen....

+1 here. I find the yeast is old enough to know where it needs to go!

+2, pitched S189 at 11c and fermented at 11c with no D rest and have come out fine

Rook

I did this just the other day, 1 sachet 34/70 directly pitched into 10 degree wort in da frudge. Still waiting for the signs of krausen....

Don't hold your breath for it to kick off. Pitch more yeast ASAP. 37/70 (dry) has a history as a very slow starter epecially when pitched cold, I hate the stuff. Thats why I went to S-189 but now just do Liquid yeast. It must be easy if I can work it out + it ends up being cheaper.

Steve

Rehydrate at the recommended temp (usually 35*C) then attemperate.

Because you need to attemperate it doesn't matter what temp you decided to rehydrate at and what temp your wort is at.

tdh

Cheers Steve, I usually use liquid (wyeast 2308) however i wanted to give another yeast a try. Will take a look when i get home.

I'm with Ross on this one. It's not worth the effort to rehydrate dried yeast, and if you're pitching cold (which you should for Lager IMO) just use more than one sachet. That method will give you the least lag time and least chance of contamination. I have also dropped a lonely sachet into cold wort on many occasions with no problems, just takes a little longer to take off.

i have read and know that most people feel that you shouldnt make a starter with dried yeast, but what about in the case of a lager when you want a larger cell count.......?

can you make up say a 1lt starter?

i have read and know that most people feel that you shouldnt make a starter with dried yeast, but what about in the case of a lager when you want a larger cell count.......?

can you make up say a 1lt starter?

You could but you may actually be doing more harm than good to the yeast health.

ok, ill take your word for it but do you have the scientific reaoning behind it??

Two packs of this pitched on Sunday arvo straight from the fridge and airlock was slowly bubbling the next morning. I don't remember buying it, so I reckon it had to be at least a year old but was always kept in the fridge.

EDIT: I always used to rehydrate and don't bother anymore, getting the same results either way.

I never understood re-hydrating, wouldn't putting the yeast into the wort rehydrate it? (Considering the hydration takes all of 10 minutes, I doubt the yeast could do much harm if they are not hydrated before hand.)

I never understood re-hydrating, wouldn't putting the yeast into the wort rehydrate it? (Considering the hydration takes all of 10 minutes, I doubt the yeast could do much harm if they are not hydrated before hand.)

Good question...... one i have scratched the crewitt over many times.

Palmer says " Usally the concentration of sugars in wort is so high that the yeast cannot draw enough water across the cell membranes to restart metabolism. Do not sprinkle onto the wort as manufacturers suggest. Dry yeast should be rehydrated in de-aareated water before pitching.

So he says, I rehydrate most times from cooled boiling water for no other reason than peace of mind the yeast is ok.

It probably depends a lot on what yeast we are pitching also. 04 vers 05, 23 vrs 34/70

I always re-hydrate my dry yeast. It kicks off big time when added to the wort. Also if the wort is aerated, then I'd rather pour the re-hyrdated yeast solution in than have the dry yeast sit on the foamy bits till it subsides ... :)

cheers

1 packet at 10 degrees would have the yeast pushing itself a bit to start.
2 packets if pitching dry yeast cold and 1 packet if pitching warm seems to work best.

Latest posts

Back