Lagering With Bottled Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rod

Reaction score
I have just made a Stella clone and used Czech Budejovice lager yeast . It's bubbling away quite nicely . I have read some posts on lagering and assume that most refer to kegging . With bottling is the lagering process achieved by aging in the bottle at about 10'C

Im new to brewing And Ive been experimenting with lagers (fermenting outside inthe Perth hills it is almost cold enough). I have been holding my bottled beer at 0 Deg C prioir to bottle conditioning for 2 weeks which to my understanding is Lagering, Hope it works :)

Rod,

if you want to lager your lagers:

Try this - Secondary fermenter:
Rack for 2 weeks at normal lager yeast temp.
Optional to do a Diaceytl rest - raise temp to 24 celcius overneight.
Rack to tertiary and store for 4 weeks, or as long as six months at 5 celcius.

For bottles - i would give the bottles 2 weeks at normal temp - then lager a t 5 celciuis for 4 weeks.

I think that lager at 0 celcius is a bit too cold.

Hope this helps.

This may be a silly Question but can anyone tell me what lagering actually achieves Is it clarity, flavour, or aroma? Ive lagered a few batches I guess I should keep a couple bottles seperate from the lager fridge as a trial. Also What is a Diaceytl Rest and What does this achieve? (I have never done this.) Cheers
Jethro

Lagering or cold conditioning assists the maturation of the beer, smooths out the flavour & lets it clear. Diacetyl is the butterscotch flavour associated with low temp lager yeasts but not appropriate for the beer style. By raising the temperature of the brew to 22-24oC after fermentation for 24-72 hours the yeast is able to digest the diacetyl & remove the unwanted flavour.

Now this is interesting , I have been largering for my last few brews , brewing at 12c , I takes around 3 weeks with Saflager S23 yeast , now I rack at around 10 days , but never done this Diacetyl thing
Is it worth it ? Going to rack tomorrow may give it a go
And how the hell do I say that ?
diacetyl? :chug:

Batz

I guess you need to have a taste & see if there's any butterscotch flavours. I seem to remember it's more associated with some yeasts than others but not sure which. Can't see it hurting though.

Can't say I have tasted any butterscotch flavours that I could notice , I use Saflager S23 , still I think I'll give it a go , gotta try these things

Back