Lagering Saflager S-23

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerIsGood

Reaction score
John Palmer writes:

Saflager S-23 (DCL Yeast)
This lager strain is used by several European commercial breweries. This yeast develops soft estery notes at the recommended temperature range of 48-59F and more ale-like characteristics at warmer temperatures. From what I have read, I am speculating that this is a Kolsch or Alt-type yeast. This strain of yeast will produce a lager character at 54F, and homebrewers have reported good results with this yeast. Given the recommended fermentation temperature range, these yeasts may not respond well to lagering (extended secondary fermentation at low temperatures) as described in Chapter 10, and probably should be maintained at 54F for the duration of the time in the fermenter, approximately 2-3 weeks. I have not used this yeast myself and cannot say for certain.
(source: How to Brew - by John Palmer)

I'm sure that I've read many success stories in these forums about lagering with Saflager, but can't seem to find any at the moment that specifically recommend S-23. This is the only strain available at local HBS, and I've bought a few packets.

Can I expect success in lagering my brew at 0-4C using S-23 yeast?

Go the maroons! Queenslander! Queenslander! Queenslander! :beerbang:

I have fermented with saflager S-23 2weeks primary 1 week secondary at 12 Deg C then after 24 hours at 17 deg C Bulk primed and bottled. after bottling I have lagered at 0-1 Degree C for four weeks before warming for carbonation. One batch I even froz a few bottles in error. all bottle carbonated as planned (though 4 - 6 weeks) I keg now and use yeast cultured from smack packs but I recon the s-23 did the job. Cheer Jethro :beer:

my first ever brew was a cerveza kit. I used saflager yeast and dry hopped with 25grams of hallertau. I left in primary for nearly 4 weeks at 12 degrees. I then lagered it in 'secondary' for another 4 weeks. when I kegged it, it tasted ok, not great. but I put 3 bottles aside in a cupboard at room temp for 8 weeks. when I tasted it it was without a doubt the nicest beer I have ever tasted. a magical hop aroma and the cleanest taste I have ever experienced, not to mention a white frothy head.

i swear it was better than the finest lagers of the world...

of course that was a long time ago and maybe if I tasted it today I would think it was average. I dunno.

Latest posts

Back