Lagering Caves Re-discovered In New York

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rowanb

Reaction score
Interesting yarn about the recent rediscovery of long forgotten lagering caves used by a now defunct brewery based in New York

"... in the South Bronx, less than two miles from Yankee Stadium, a network of old beer caves that had stood silent for generations. "
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/26/nyregion...tml?_r=1&hp

Extract from news story...
"A century ago, when German, not Spanish, was the second language of the Bronx, the Ebling Brewing Company chilled its beer in a series of caves built into a hill behind its headquarters in Melrose. Ebling bottles and cans boasted that the beer was "aged in natural rock caves," a traditional method of making lager, and Ebling was one of the more popular beers in a city where local breweries were once nearly as common as Starbucks shops are today."

Being man-made, they are not - by definition - caves.

Bloody journalists.

Thanks for the link, but I didn't see anything there about lagering (or beer). Can we keep this on topic, please?

Says the bloke that brought up the bat cave in the first place.

Good one champ. B)

yeah its really a tunnel...................a cave does not have 2 entrances

Paul

Caves often have more than 1 entrance in my part of the world. The norm for a cave is multiple entrances.

I would say it is not totally clear if the cave is man made...caves are not uncommon in ney york state

Caves often have more than 1 entrance in my part of the world. The norm for a cave is multiple entrances.

I would say it is not totally clear if the cave is man made...caves are not uncommon in ney york state

The Company slogan
"aged in natural rock caves"
at the end of the article. suggests they are natural.. Surely a Brewery would not lie to us

Surely

The second paragraph of the article in the NYT states that the 'caves' are "built into a hill".

Caves can have many entrances. A reasonable (Australian) working definition is a naturally-occurring, human-enterable void (usually in rock) with a dark zone.

Caves are where you find them, but Coopers Cave Ale Company. Well, it's a beer reference, at least.

NY Times must have been sitting on this for months waiting for a slow news day...was on TV around Octoberish (on one of those location doco's), so would have been found some time before that.

Sure beats using the fermenting fridge for lagers though!

Back