Lager Yeast Ok While Under Gas Pressure In Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thefatdoghead

Reaction score
I have a Boh pils in the keg at the moment. I slowly chilled from 12 deg to 0 deg over about 5 days. I will Lager the beer for about 7 weeks but I was just wondering if there were any detrimental implications to yeast if I gas the keg slowly over 2 weeks at 70Kpa?
Only reason I ask is because I work away for 5 weeks at a time and really like walking in the door after 5 weeks on a dry ship and pooring some beautiful beer perfectly carbed. I always wondered if this would make a huge difference but have not done many Lagers.
:icon_cheers:

This might be a stupid response and I'm not too smart on this stuff but if your chilling it for like 7 weeks and gassing it for the same time does it matter what it does to the yeast. Also I put a keg on gas a week and half ago at 10 psi which is 70 kpa I think and it's just starting to get carbed enough now.

You will get the yeast settling on the bottom of the keg. The bit around the tube will be sucked up in the first few glasses. You could possibly get some yeast autolysis happening due to the pressure, but I'm not sure what pressures will speed up the process. I'd wait for someone who is into kegging chimes in.

A keg is a great lagering vessel, especially because you can easily purge it of oxygen, though I don't think pressure is going to be helpful.

I have a Boh pils in the keg at the moment. I slowly chilled from 12 deg to 0 deg over about 5 days. I will Lager the beer for about 7 weeks but I was just wondering if there were any detrimental implications to yeast if I gas the keg slowly over 2 weeks at 70Kpa?
Only reason I ask is because I work away for 5 weeks at a time and really like walking in the door after 5 weeks on a dry ship and pooring some beautiful beer perfectly carbed. I always wondered if this would make a huge difference but have not done many Lagers.
:icon_cheers:

has your beer finished fermenting ? if so i dont see a problem at all

lagering involves racking the beer approx 2/3 through fermentation and then lowering the temp slowly so that the remaining ferm takes place at lower than primary fermentation temperatures, i.e. 2 or 3 degrees or less over a few weeks

if your beer has finished fermenting then you are just cold conditioning the beer and i dont see any problems, but if you are still in fermentation mode then you may come back to some highly carbonated beer

No detrimental implications from carbing, but i'd have it off the yeast if cold conditioning it for 7 weeks...

cheers Ross

edit: Better answer from Donburke above.

has your beer finished fermenting ? if so i dont see a problem at all

lagering involves racking the beer approx 2/3 through fermentation and then lowering the temp slowly so that the remaining ferm takes place at lower than primary fermentation temperatures, i.e. 2 or 3 degrees or less over a few weeks

if your beer has finished fermenting then you are just cold conditioning the beer and i dont see any problems, but if you are still in fermentation mode then you may come back to some highly carbonated beer
First of all thanks for the response. I did read somewhere (cant remember what book) that yeast is still cleaning up when lagering even in cold condition thats why I asked. The fermentation had finished about 1.5 weeks ago so I just started slowly lowering the temp over 5 days. I'll put it on the gas at 70KPA and it should be gassesd in a few weeks as it is a 50L keg.
Thanks again

Back