Lager Yeast Flavour Profiles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfdes

Reaction score
Hi there!

Have a couple of packets of dry s-189 yeast sitting in the fridge for contingencies though I usually prefer liquid yeasts as they pose no added challenge for me (I work in a microbiology lab).

My question is: I've always heard the 189 yeast is very clean. What liquid yeast, if any, does it resemble? Is the flavour profile like the south German lager yeasts? I am keen to hear from people who have used BOTH s-189 and a few liquid lager yeasts what their take on the liquid yeast is.

Thanks!

MFS.

Hey MFS

I've used S189 and quite a few liquid strains. I must confess my preference is generally for liquid but S189 is really up there with them. To my tastes its extremely bang in the middle neutral in terms of its flavour which makes it great for hoppy pilsners.

I guess it depends on what beer you have in mind. To me it made my best ever CAP even after the fermentation got askew in a recent heatwave.

Like any dried and liquid comparison I guess its more a case of the dry seeming "limited" mainly because your choice of strains is limited. If the lager you're making is specific in style then you'll probably find that S189 would be some form of compromise.

I think that any batch of beer isn't the end of the world. Just try it to see what you think. You can always do it again with your chosen liquid strain if you're not happy.

Warren -

I really like the wyeast 2124. I've used quite a variety over the years but I figure there must be a good reason why the 2124 is one of the most widely used strains in the world today.

I really like the wyeast 2124. I've used quite a variety over the years but I figure there must be a good reason why the 2124 is one of the most widely used strains in the world today.

+1 It's (2124) a fantastic yeast. Also like 2278 Czech Pils once the fart aromas subside.

Warren -

Hi there!

Have a couple of packets of dry s-189 yeast sitting in the fridge for contingencies though I usually prefer liquid yeasts as they pose no added challenge for me (I work in a microbiology lab).

My question is: I've always heard the 189 yeast is very clean. What liquid yeast, if any, does it resemble? Is the flavour profile like the south German lager yeasts? I am keen to hear from people who have used BOTH s-189 and a few liquid lager yeasts what their take on the liquid yeast is.

Thanks!

MFS.
I believe it is reputed to be the same strain as WLP885 Zurich lager
If that is true, or it is even similar then this is the whitelabs blurb...

* WLP885 Zurich Lager Yeast
PLATINUM STRAIN Sept./Oct.

Swiss style lager yeast. With proper care, this yeast can be used to produce lager beer over 11% ABV. Sulfur and diacetyl production is minimal. Original culture provided to White Labs by Marc Sedam.
Attenuation: 70-80%.
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 50-55F
Alcohol Tolerance: Very High

I believe it is reputed to be the same strain as WLP885 Zurich lager
If that is true, or it is even similar then this is the whitelabs blurb...

* WLP885 Zurich Lager Yeast
PLATINUM STRAIN Sept./Oct.

Swiss style lager yeast. With proper care, this yeast can be used to produce lager beer over 11% ABV. Sulfur and diacetyl production is minimal. Original culture provided to White Labs by Marc Sedam.
Attenuation: 70-80%.
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 50-55F
Alcohol Tolerance: Very High

That doesn't really say much, does it.

That doesn't really say much, does it.
Maybe not, but it answers this question...

My question is: I've always heard the 189 yeast is very clean. What liquid yeast, if any, does it resemble?

I can remember when Marc Sedam first aquired that yeast on the Homebrew digest. From memory it was the yeast of Hrlimann's late-lamented Samichlaus at the time the world's strongest lager weighing in at a hefty 14% !! Thing being I'm not sure if Hrlimann's regular yeast and the Samichlaus are the same strain??

Hrlimann are reputed to have several strains from memory. Perhaps S-189 is for their regular beer Hrlimann Lager?

Warren -

Just to revive this thread, I have a couple of sachets of S-189 yeast (due to expire) in my fridge and would like to use them in an APA or two during the next month. Ambient temps in my brew-eskies sits around 15*C so that's where the beer will ferment.

I'd like to know if anyone has used this yeast at these temps and what were your results like?

Cheers

Back