Lager while on holidays

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi folks, leaving for O/S on the 30th for six weeks. was thinking of putting down a Lager. Should i ferment 2 weeks before then Lager for the 6 weeks or start ferment just before i leave. Not a Lager expert obviously. Any recipe ideas, doesn't matter what style of Lager, just something that can sit there for 6 weeks. Any ideas comments.
Cheers
Briby

I'd prefer to have it done before I left. Are you lagering in a keg or are you talking about a secondary fermenter, primary fermenter, bottles? You realise lagering is done at cold temp right?

If it was finished and d-rested prior to leaving, it would be perfect to leave in the cold for 6 weeks. However you might be pushing it.

I did exactly what you propose, except mine was fermented and D rested to FG over 3 weeks, before I transferred for lagering for 6 weeks whilst mrs warra and I were in Europe.

I do have a fridge, so if i brewed next week, leaving 2-3 weeks to finish, then rack and leave while away?. If i ferment @ 10-12deg., lager at the same temp?. Any recipe ideas.

Depends on whether you want a pale German lager, mid coloured German lager, dark German lager, low/mid alc lager, high alc lager, Czech or other eastern european lager (dark or light), baltic porter, aussie lager, american lager, california common, etc.

Manticle you left out my favourite; German amber lager (although I suppose it is "mid coloured").

I've used Saaz and Mittlefrueh in a Pils i brewed last year, was ok so a Lager recipe incorporating those Hops. Generally brew 28lt batches so will use 2 sachets of 30/40-189?

Those hops would go in any european style lager - whether doppelbock or Czech Pils.

I'm guessing you are after a paler coloured lager, something I'm still trying to get right.

80% euro pils malt
17% Vienna malt
3% German crystal (caramunich or similar).

Decoct twice

Mash 62 for 15 minutes, 70 for 45 mins, 72 for 10 minutes, mash out at 78.

Make sure pH is right - adjust with acid if not.

Boil 90 minutes.

Noble hops between 20 and 35 IBU dependent on taste. Hops at 60, 20 and 0 or just 60 and 0.

At least 2 packets dry yeast or big starter with fresh liquid, aerate well, pitch at 4, allow to rise to 7-10 (dependent on your yeast). Ferment till 2/3 - 3/4 finished, allow to rise slowly to 18-20, hold 1-2 days, slowly drop back to ferment temps, then when FG is reached and there is no butter, butterscotch or green apple or pumpkin skin taste, let drop to between 0 and 2 degrees.

manticle said:
Those hops would go in any european style lager - whether doppelbock or Czech Pils.

I'm guessing you are after a paler coloured lager, something I'm still trying to get right.

80% euro pils malt
17% Vienna malt
3% German crystal (caramunich or similar).

Decoct twice

Mash 62 for 15 minutes, 70 for 45 mins, 72 for 10 minutes, mash out at 78.

Make sure pH is right - adjust with acid if not.

Boil 90 minutes.

Noble hops between 20 and 35 IBU dependent on taste. Hops at 60, 20 and 0 or just 60 and 0.

At least 2 packets dry yeast or big starter with fresh liquid, aerate well, pitch at 4, allow to rise to 7-10 (dependent on your yeast). Ferment till 2/3 - 3/4 finished, allow to rise slowly to 18-20, hold 1-2 days, slowly drop back to ferment temps, then when FG is reached and there is no butter, butterscotch or green apple or pumpkin skin taste, let drop to between 0 and 2 degrees.
Thanks Manticle, have Braumeister, so might leave the decoction out, but stay with the same mash schedule?, looks like it would be a medium body. Otherwise looks like i could manage. The Pils i brewed had all Jw Pils with some Carapils for head as i bottle.

Fermentation schedule is at least as important as mash schedule so if you can step and ferment it properly, it will be fine without the decoction. i love the character decoction brings but you could do without.

Another grist that works very well is 50% pils, 25% vienna, 25% munich I (all Weyermann). Everything else as already suggested (but I'd be hopping at the higher end).

manticle said:
Fermentation schedule is at least as important as mash schedule so if you can step and ferment it properly, it will be fine without the decoction. i love the character decoction brings but you could do without.

Another grist that works very well is 50% pils, 25% vienna, 25% munich I (all Weyermann). Everything else as already suggested (but I'd be hopping at the higher end).
Will put both Grain bills into Smithy and see what they look like. In the Pils i used Galaxy @ 60 to 21ibu, 21gm Saaz @ 20, 21gm Mittle @10, total 29 Ibu in 28lts

Use all noble. Save galaxy for something that needs passionfruit and resin.

Oktoberfest
40% Vienna, 30% Munich II, 30% Pilsner (or pretty much any variant of the three... the higher the munich II the darker and sweeter, the higher the pils the more towards a Helles it goes. I've used as much as 80% munich II in an amber lager and it was still great, just a tiny bit heavier like a toned down dunkel).
18IBU mittelfrueh @ 60
6IBU saaz @ 20
My preferred yeast is wlp833 (wyeast hella-bock), Munich and Bavaria go alright, Danish would be acceptable. Didn't like Bohemian.

Back