Lager - undercarbed

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cummy

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have just cracked a bottle of my second kit and bits lager. Both have had very little to no head and quite flat. I used s-23 yeast for both and lagered for 6 weeks before bottling. The one I just drank was bottled a month ago. I use drops and in a 330ml bottle so I was expecting a little over carved if anything. Bottles are stored downstairs in tile/brick room in Brisbane so I would think bottles would sit around 18-20 degrees at this time of the year. Any ideas where I might be going wrong?

Are you sure your glassware is clean and free from detergent residue?

Glasses are usually run under hot water tap for a few minutes and placed back into the fridge so I'm pretty sure this is not the problem.

Just took this from How to brew by John Palmer.

Saflager S-23 (DCL Yeast)
This lager strain is used by several European commercial breweries. This yeast develops soft estery notes at the recommended temperature range of 48-59°F and more ale-like characteristics at warmer temperatures. From what I have read, I am speculating that this is a Kolsch or Alt-type yeast. This strain of yeast will produce a lager character at 54°F, and homebrewers have reported good results with this yeast. Given the recommended fermentation temperature range, these yeasts may not respond well to lagering (extended secondary fermentation at low temperatures) as described in Chapter 10, and probably should be maintained at 54°F for the duration of the time in the fermenter, approximately 2-3 weeks. I have not used this yeast myself and cannot say for certain.

Thanks Gunn. So my choices are start kegging or would it be possible to pitch a kit ale yeast just before bottling or would this greatly affect the taste. I am pretty happen with the beer.

how long in the bottle.
if under 2 months i wouldn't worry. it will come good.

It's been 4 weeks for one brew and eight weeks for the other. The eight week brew is far better than the 4but still a long way from my ales. I might give the lagers away. 1 month in the fermenter, a couple lagering and then another 2 in the bottle. Im not that patient.

What's your process for lagering? Are you letting the bottles sit out in the ambient temp for a bit before lagering?

Ferment, cold crash, rack to secondary, lager then bottle. Once it's cold crashed I don't raise the temp again until after I bottle it.

Cummy said:
It's been 4 weeks for one brew and eight weeks for the other. The eight week brew is far better than the 4but still a long way from my ales. I might give the lagers away. 1 month in the fermenter, a couple lagering and then another 2 in the bottle. Im not that patient.
Lagers are far harder to get right. You are not alone.

Latest posts

Back