Lager recipe help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm trying to put together a lager kits and bits, aiming for something around an Oktoberfest or a Munich style.

So i'm thinking:

Thomas Cooper's heritage lager
750g Light Malt Extract
250g Dextrose
Wyeast, like the Oktoberfest 2633 or Munich 2308.

I'm pretty unsure on hops additions, and can't seem to find much on here. I've got some Saaz sitting around, would they be suitable? or should I be looking for something different? I've got a good LHBS, they stock most of the good stuff.
Cheers all

Saaz is perfect and your recipe should be good. Boil up 200g of your extract in 2 litres of water, add 10 or so g of saaz and use that as the hot water that dissolves the kit goop.

Would a kilo of malt and drop the dextrose be fine too? Just that mine are in one kilo bags, and I can't be bothered saving it. It'll just be more malty yeah?

I think your original recipe was better - a touch of dex stops the whole thing being too thick and balances the malt well.

I'd just steep the saaz in the boiling water as you are trying to extract flavour rather than bitterness

Where's the munich or vienna LME? I'd go 50/50 Pils/Munich (yes you can get munich goop).

melb_student_brewer said:
So get a tin of each and use half of each? Sounds like too much bother lol.
I don't know the gravity each hypothetical can yeilds at whatever total volume you want to brew at, but what I actually meant was ditch the DME and sugar and just use one can of pils and one can of munich, period. No halving any cans. I believe there is a recipe calculator spreadsheet floating around that would allow you to input the two cans and your target volume and find out the resultant gravity, so you can then see if the alcohol % would be in the ball-park. An oktoberfest should ideally be around 5.8%, so you may find that these 2 cans are around abouts that strength in 23L. Just bare in mind that munich cans are UNHOPPED whereas your heritage lager IS, therefore you will want to check out the IBU in that spreadsheet too and aim for between 20-28 by adding additional hops as mentioned. Cheers

EDIT: here's the link with the spreedsheet, mate

I was just having a look at the spreadsheet, which doesn't have the Munich LME on it, but using 1.5kg of light LME, it looks like just the one 1.5kg can in 23L would be about right. You would have to boil it and hop it to add bitterness though, which is easy enough.

EDIT: I'm bored, so here you go:

24L final volume = 5.7%
One can of 1.5kg Munich LME
Boil 30g of Chech Saaz for 45 minutes
Boil 15g of Chech Saaz for 20 minutes

So just dilute the can of goo in whatever volume of water you can fit in your biggest pot and boil it on the stovetop, adding the hop additions at 45 and 20 minutes respectively, then turn it off, dump it all in you fermenter and further dilute to 24 L. Ready to yeast it up.

Briess also make dried malt extract labelled pilsen and munich.

http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Products/Extracts.htm#PilsenLight

Grain and Grape have stocked these products in the past and probably still do.

You could use it in place of your light malt extract if you don't want to do full extract and keep the cooper's tin. The dried will be very easy to store. If you do go down thefull extract route, you will need to do a 60 minute boil with hop additions.

Back