Lager Help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark_W

Reaction score
I'm about to start my 2nd ever brew- a Pilsener.

I have checked the temperature in my 2nd fridge and it seems the thermostat is buggered... regardless of setting (ie coldest/warmest or middle) it gives a fairly standard 10 degree temperature.

As I understand it this is perfect for the fermentation process however is higher than the recoomended 5 degrees or colder I read on here for CCing.

Will it affect my brew too much if I CC at 10 degrees or should I go to the trouble of trying to keep the temp down with frozen bottles etc?

Sorry - also meant to ask.... any tips on the best pitching temperature... using a Morgans Pilsener with Saflager yeast.

10 degrees will be ok for cc, as close to just above zero as you can is better.

There has been debate before about pitching temps, do a search.

Gauranteed that when I post my suggested pitching temp someone else will suggest another.

The best rule of thumb is to have your wort and starter/yeast sachet at the recomended FERMENTATION temperature. If you have thermostat control and glycerine cooling coils, you may wish to vary this.

Changing a thermostat control is not too tricky if you are not tool challenged. You need to remove the existing thermostat, take it to a fridge parts supplier who will sell you a replacement, ours cost about $40 last summer.

Back