Lager Finishing Gravities

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbrosnan

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've being getting into lagers and wanted to get an idea of peoples experince with regard to duration of primary fermentation and finishing gravities. So far there is a notable increase over ale yeasts, which have usually finished in about 5-7 and finish in the low teens. The lagers appear to be geting to racking gravity in around 10 and I've put them in the keg to lager at aound 1016. One used Wyeast 2112 and the other used 2124 (mind you this one went way over on the OG, 1072 and I racked it at 1018).

Lagers take a lot longer.

If you think it has reached it's final gravity, leave it another week in the primary, then rack/keg.

All yeast makers publish attenuation rates, use these as a guide. Your final gravity will depend on your recipe, mash regime, malt, yeast health, temperature range etc.

Have fun, lagers are great beasts to work with.

Yeah I found it was usually around 14 days or just under however with my latest yeast (wuyeast budvar 2000) it is finishing in 7-9 days, well at around 1018/1020 when I beguin my rest....

Back