Lager & Champagne Yeast Slants?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefsantos

Reaction score
Sorry if this is a dumb question but is it possible to take a yeast sample(for slants/petrie dishes) from a bottle of lager or Champagne?

Champagne doesn't usually have yeast left in it AFAIK. And it depends if the lager you're talking about has been bottle conditioned or not OFC.

I want to get a sample from beer lao or singha(as I'm in thailand right now) but I don't know if its bottle conditioned, there is no yeast in the bottle as I far as can see . As for champagne I was under the impression it was bottle conditioned ..

Quality Champagne, made in the traditional method, is bottle conditioned, and naturally carbonated in the bottle. While attempting to harvest the tiny trace of yeast left may be an enjoyable and expensive exercise, why not just just buy a Wyeast smakpak. You'll have known quality and freshness, at a fraction of the cost.

Cheap bubbly mostly is not bottle conditioned, but bulk carbonated with CO.

Don't know why you'd want to harvest any yeast from Lagers, if any of them are, in fact, bottle conditioned. All the best known strains are available to us as homebrewers from Wyeast and White Labs.

Quality Champagne, made in the traditional method, is bottle conditioned, and naturally carbonated in the bottle. While attempting to harvest the tiny trace of yeast left may be an enjoyable and expensive exercise, why not just just buy a Wyeast smakpak. You'll have known quality and freshness, at a fraction of the cost.

Cheap bubbly mostly is not bottle conditioned, but bulk carbonated with CO.

Don't know why you'd want to harvest any yeast from Lagers, if any of them are, in fact, bottle conditioned. All the best known strains are available to us as homebrewers from Wyeast and White Labs.
I was thinking it would be easier to just get some wyeast but my misses loves good expensive french champagne and i was wondering if it was possible to take a sample. As for lager I'm really not a big fan (more of a ipa,apa , fan) but I'm addicted to yeast samples and was hoping to culture as many different yeasts as possible

Most commercial lagers are pasteurised after being filtered - so even if you did manage to find the eight cells that got through the massive filter systems, they'd be dead.

With the riddling and disgorging processes of the "good expensive champagne", and that the few remaining yeast have sat in the 12% ETOH for a few years, I would imagine you'd be lucky to get any usable yeast from a bottle. It is my understanding that the same strains are available commercially, and you'd be better off buying a bottle (or 2!) to drink and a packet of yeast to pitch.

Back