Lager before bottle carbing?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diddlez

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm getting extremely frustrated getting different answers from different people / sources on the internet.

I've got a lager ( my first one ) that's done fermenting and had a 3 day diacetyl rest.

I was going to cold crash it, transfer to another by bucket and lager for 4+ weeks at 2 odd degrees, then bulk prime and bottle / carb at room temp.

I've just now been told by various people that youre supposed to bottle and prime the beer, then lager in the bottle. If that's the case do you bottle and carb at room temp for a few weeks, then lager. Or can you bottle and carbonate/lager at the same time.

Lagering a carbonated beer or trying to carbonate at lager temps doesn't make sense to me.

I brewed my last Pils recently. In the fermenter for 2 weeks and then racked into another container under a covering of CO2. Lagered for 6 weeks. I then bottled it but added some granules of dry yeast to each bottle. It carbonated well and drinks nicely.

Do it the way you want to.

Try multiple methods and report back with the method that works best for you.

There are few rules with brewing. There are are almost as many beer brewing processes as there are brewers. We all do things a little differently.

If it were me, I would be tempted to bottle it, let it carb up for a few weeks, then chill it for a month before serving. This should help limit oxidation caused by multiple transfers. It should lager in the bottle just fine.

I brewed my last Pils recently. In the fermenter for 2 weeks and then racked into another container under a covering of CO2. Lagered for 6 weeks. I then bottled it but added some granules of dry yeast to each bottle. It carbonated well and drinks nicely.

Did you bottle carb at room temp?

Latest posts

Back