Lactose

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brizbrew

Reaction score
Where can I buy Some Lactose?
I had a look around the supermarket tonight but nothing there, will they stock it at the HBS? I will be passing the one in Wacol lunch time tomorrow and at a push could get up to Chapel Hill, will they stock it?

The reason I want to get my hands on some is for the following kit.

2 coopers stout kits
500gms brown sugar
500gms DME
250gms lactose

I am thinking of either using the two packs of yeast that come with the kits or maybe a safale, I am also considering getting a liquid irish stout yeast (wlp004?)
What do you reckon to the K+K, I am looking for something with a highish ABV maybe 6-6.5%

Hi Brizbrew, your lHBS should have lactose, if not try a specialty health foods shop, I was thinking of doing a similar brew this weekend.

Cheers
Brad T :beer:

I will be using Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale for this one

briz,
your recipe shouldnt be too far of the mark. I just plugged your recipe into promash and it says you should get a og 1.062 fg 1.015 and 6.2 % ABV using safale s04.
Make sure you ferment it around 18 deg if you use safale otherwise you will end up with a lot of esters, especially banana ones i found. ( unless you like bananas of course). :ph34r: But if your really keen, you cant go past the liquid yeast. I'd go the liquid yeast personally.

vlbaby.

could go for 1084 Irish ALe Yeast.

You can add teh Lactose at Bulk priming or racking stage as well.
Change teh Brown sugar to Dark Brown Sugar.

Buy soem grains to steep overnight in 3ltrs of water:
50 Roast Barley
100 Black Patent
250 Choc
250 Xtal

2 methods to use the steeped liquid after pouring thru a sieve.
a) do a 20 min boil with the sugar and throw in 20gms of East Kent Goldings - preferred.

B) pour the liquid straight into the fermenter with all the goo.

I have done both methods....

Tip for use with cans:
Dont take the entire lid off the can - leave at least a thumb width.
This allows you to tilt the lid 180 degrees which in turn allows you to rest/balance on the cans' lid and side on the rim of the fermenter with the goo running into the fermenter so that you dont have to hold it.

Hence, you are free to do a 20 min boil while all the goo runs into your fermenter.

Makes it SOO Much easier.

Hope this helps

GMK said:
Tip for use with cans:
This allows you to tilt the lid 180 degrees which in turn allows you to rest/balance on the cans' lid and side on the rim of the fermenter with the goo running into the fermenter so that you dont have to hold it.

Single best bit of info I have got off here thus far. Simple ones are always the best.

Cheers butt. :super:

Brizbrew said:
GMK said:
Tip for use with cans:

Single best bit of info I have got off here thus far. Simple ones are always the best.

Cheers butt. :super:
[post="64932"][/post]​

Glad it helps...u should have seen the look on a guys face - he is 65 and been brewing for 40years - when i showed him this - leaving a thumb width and tilting the lid and suspending the can on the fermenter so the goo runs in.

Pure amazement and shock in that he never thought of it in that time.

When u say simple things are the best - that is the same philososhy i used to implement teh GMK In-Line filter.

Thanks

Back