Lack Of Interest In Drinking Much......

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clean brewer

Obsessed Home Brewer
Reaction score
Well, as some are aware, I now work away 2 weeks at a time Cooking on the Gas Rigs and it is a Fully Dry(Booze) working enviroment....

The amazing thing is that when I come home from working away, I dont even really feel like a drink so much, probably because I havnt had any for up to 16 days????

I guess another reason is that there is ALOT less stress and pressures in my new Job compared to working in the Restaurant in a Family business aswell, I dont feel the need to have a drink to relax anymore after work or whenever... Probably also the Crap Food, Chips etc are not around me when I work away and I refuse to eat anything Deep fried out there as Solid Shortening is used in the Fryers...

And I am also chuffed that on the 25th January 2010 I weighed in at 96.1kg and now on the 18 March 2010 I weigh 91.6kg, so thats 4.5kg i have lost since starting my new job and I have only worked away for about 3-4 weeks in total so far....

My only Issue is that lack of Drinking = Lack of Brewing but I am not giving up at all, probably might just shed some weight and get fit and lean and healthy again and then ramp up production more once im leaner again and in that fit mode.... :D

CB

Keep brewing at your previous rate, then stored it up, once you run out of bottles/kegs, then keep brewing but stored in it NC cubes that way you'll always have wort sitting there ready to pitch yeast at.

Organise beer/food events with friends.. Get togethers where they supply the food, you supply the beer.

Congrats on the new job, I know the Hervey Bay restaurant was shitting you off somewhat ! Mate, dry environment? It must feel like you are working in the Persian Gulf. I work in a no-booze environment, that is until I step out of the door at the end of the shift :icon_drunk: :icon_drunk:

Hi, I was drinking too much so I thought I would quit drinking for a few months. Anyway after two weeks I lost 3kg 79 down to 76 which was my original weight before I started home brewing 1 year ago.

I stopped drinking for a week once, and also stopped eating mi goreng packet noodles lol, I list 4 kilos in a week (86 -> 82).

Congrats on the new job, I know the Hervey Bay restaurant was shitting you off somewhat ! Mate, dry environment? It must feel like you are working in the Persian Gulf. I work in a no-booze environment, that is until I step out of the door at the end of the shift :icon_drunk: :icon_drunk:
no booze on the rigs is allowed. OH&S issue. once you hit the main though it :icon_drunk:

That must have been the hardest week of your life! Give up Mi Goreng and beer... I couldn't do it!

I stopped drinking for a week once, and also stopped eating mi goreng packet noodles lol, I list 4 kilos in a week (86 -> 82).

CB needs his head read! :lol: ;)

I miss beer when I cant enjoy a brew...

I also have a few cubes ready to pitch whenever also. Keep brewing! :beer:

With the exception of the last few weeks (I've got an APA fading fast and have recently had a big haul from Slowbeer) I generally don't drink all that much and certainly not regularly. Dry weekdays and not unusual to have dry days on the weekend occasionally. Keeping consumption up with what I want to brew has always been difficult and I understand a bit of what you're saying CB. Melthar's idea seems a good one to me. Gives you a chance to catch up with everyone after being away for work too.

Yeah its amazing when you cant have a drink how much after a few days you dont miss it.
When I had glandular fever last year I obviously was advised not to drink and went about 6 weeks without a drink. When I was able to have a drink I think I had a glass of beer with dinner and then didnt drink for another week or so after that. And even now my consumption is a lot lower than it was. I'm often not having a drink on a weekend and most weekdays I only have one drink with dinner where as I used to have one when I walked in the door, one with dinner and one or two after dinner on a quiet night.

Also my drinking increased when I started working for my parents incedentally - thats basically what started me having a beer as soon as I walked in the door to relax. I dont think thats 100% to do with working for my parents as I also took on a fairly high stress role - but I do think that working with family DOES contribute to it a bit.

It's funny reading all this talk of losing weight. Im in the other boat. 2 years ago I weighed a weedy 70kg, now im up to 78kg. Hoping to get to 80kg and stay there!

Mind you I go to the gym every second day, so im not gaining weight from drinking & eating shit... :)

I regularly go weeks without a single beer without thinking about it, then when duty calls have a massive night. I've never really found alcohol addictive like some do. Sometimes I feel like the flavour of a beer, some times I feel like a good night out, but the alcohol part is something I easily live without all the time.

Why not just make smaller batches? Get a bunch of 12L better bottles or something and then you can still make different styles and not be stuck with one type of beer for too long.

I regularly go weeks without a single beer without thinking about it, then when duty calls have a massive night. I've never really found alcohol addictive like some do. Sometimes I feel like the flavour of a beer, some times I feel like a good night out, but the alcohol part is something I easily live without all the time.

I find the alcohol in beer makes some people more bearable particularly relatives, male wine drinkers, low carb beer drinkers & other wankers.

:icon_cheers:

Paul

Funnily enough I actually don't drink much at all.
I LOVE brewing (probably enjoy the R&D more!) and love a beer, but I don't actually consume that much, a keg would last me easily at least two months if not more hence why I usually try to bottle half and keg the other half so I can have a nice little selection of bottles at later dates too.

I also don't get drunk anymore, the last two times were in 2006 with the boys from work after a trip away, it reminded me why I don't like getting too drunk. Don't mind getting happy on a night with the right crowd but I'm usually a one glass or two a night bloke (at home) - with a few AFD's chucked in as well.

I also enjoy the brewing more than the drinking.
Could be related to the quality of the end product, but hey still counts, right :lol:

Usually buy some of my favourite beers plus one or two I haven't tried before or in a long time. Then have those with one or two of mine mixed in for good measure.

Bjorn

I find the alcohol in beer makes some people more bearable particularly relatives, male wine drinkers, low carb beer drinkers & other wankers.

:icon_cheers:

Paul

There is nothing wrong with a man that drinks wine! Comments like that is what makes male beer drinking seem like pigs!

What about a man who drinks both??? Not at the same time of course...

Back