Labels

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badg3er

Reaction score
bio.gif

brew.gif

kilcoy.gif

I made the above on a monochrome barcode printer at work (ignore spello's if you can pick em out)

The actual sticker is silver, and the print BLACK.
These are long life stickers that are guaranteed to last 10years in the sun without fading (cost about 10c ea to produce)

These are screenies, the actual in you hand sticker looks better, and the writing does not over lap.

Thats going to a lot of effort. Personally I use the 33/sheet stickers you can get from office works. I think I pay around $23 for just under 6000 stickers. Needless to say, I haven't needed to buy them for quite a while. I type in the information in the word processor and print out a sheet of them. 33 Stickers - just perfect for an average batch. The finished product, shown roughly below, is not very flashy ... in fact it's downright boring, but it does the job.

Batch No. - Batch Name
Bottled - XX/XX/XX
Style XX.X%

As I said, not too flashy, but it works well enough for me.

Here's my very amateur effort, below, for what it's worth. I print these out on the 99.1 x 38.1 office address label sheets. Easy to apply and easy to remove. Works for me.

- Snow.

View attachment Clouded_Vision.doc

For the few bottles I get from each brew (I keg) I write the brew number on the lid using a white permanent marker (I use black crown top lids).
I then have a sheet on the fridge that has the brew number, what's in the bottle, when it was bottled and the alcohol percentage.
I print out a blank form and when I've hand writting about five brews on it, I re-print it after typing the info in.
When the sheet is full (every 19 brews), I print a fresh sheet and laminate it.

Works for me.

Doc

Here is an example.

Cheers,
Doc

BrewChart.JPG

How do you guys calculate the alcohol content you display on your labels?

Cheers
Finbar

There is a simple formula that you can use to calculate alcohol % using the hydrometer. Subtract the final reading from the original and divide the answer by 7.36.

- (O.G. - F.G.) / 7.36 = Alc% v/v

Add 0.5% if you are bottling.

Cheers,
Pete

:chug:

I was using cheap labels from the newsagents and found they broke up when wet....
I have given up on labels and just use a "magic marker" on the lids to record the batch number on my brew record which I knocked up in Excel....
The labels seen here are great, good one guys.

THE GREAT thing about the labels i use is that they are water proof, and they make it easy to pick my bottles from my mates when we swap bottles.

Yes it may be going to alot of trouble, but i think its worth it. I mark the tops of the bottles as well, the label is mainly there to identify my bottle from others.

Doc, I love some of the names of your beers. Third Trimester Wheat cracked me up!

Finbar, I work out my alcohol % by taking the two hydrometer readings and then matching them up with the corresponding alcohol volume on a chart I printed from this site: http://www.geocities.com/lesjudith/Alcohol...coholChart.html
It has already taken into account the increase from priming.

I have it blu-tacked on the wall in my "laboratory" - too easy!

atm, I use a CD marking pen to write the batch name on each lid. From the name, I can look up my manual brew log. Lousy process for a DBA :)

As for brew logs, I have two forms.
I have a school exercise book that I write everything in and I also have a web enabled database ( and or course the summary sheet that is on the fridge that I posted here in this topic).

The database hasn't been updated for the last couple of brews because I took it off line after one of my computers crashed and it was interferring with the temp monitoring process and another web site on another machine when I transferred it.
What I need to do is convert it from FileMaker Pro to php and MySQL.
Not enough hours in the day unfortunately :blink:
The electronic database is great though as you can do sorts by ingredients, but also look it up quickly to find what you used in a previous brew from work via the internet so you can buy the right ingredients from the brew shop on the way home.

Cheers,
Doc

I haven't started brewing quite the quality I am looking for to put labels on my bottles, but I am loooking forward to cracking Photoshop open and starting on some nice labels.

I think a Label Gallery where people can view, rate, comment, download and upload labels would be a nice addition as well.

The Label Gallery is a great idea, fiscus. Maybe just a thread with the appropriate name would suffice tho?

I think the great thing about it is the preservation of trademarks... or the potential for them. Posting a label in a place like this with a date stamp on the post would be sufficient grounds under common law for the trademark to be valid (pulling this out of my arse, I'm not a lawyer). Many successful microbrewers would have started as a homebrewer, so to keep a name from this stage protected without the costs associated with a full-blown trademark registration is a bit of a bonus :)

I'll be working on my brewery's logo. I already have a name: "Iron Wolf Brewery".

Your correct in that a simple dedicated thread for this would be suffice, however the gallery shouldn;t be too tricky to get together - I'll look into both.

I think this section is a definate 'go'er'!!

Can't wait to see some artwork posted once its done.

Got sent this LINK this morning.
For you computer people who are into open source project etc, then check it out for beer coasters with beers named after things such as Perl, Gnu, Linux and Apache. Even the Bash shell gets a coaster.

Beers,
Doc

This Link was posted on HBD today for a site that does graphics, many of which you guys may want to use for your labels.

Beers,
Doc

Doc,

I added the Label Gallery last night and its working great inconjuction with the normal gallery - looking forward in filling this one up.

I remember when I first started brewing me and a couple of mates scribbled down a number of possible names - I think I'll have to dig up the bit of paper and get to work.

I just want to muck around with some format changes on the Label Gallery while it isn't visible to everyone so everything looks sweet - also will then be able to convert the current gallery over easily (and without disrupting anything)

Stay Tuned :D

Saw an ad on tv tonight for the Dymo Labelwriter.
This good be an easy and good way of doing beer labels for your beers.

Cheers,
Doc

Back