Label removal

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BURGO817

Reaction score
Hey AHB,

Want know if anyone has found a better way to remove bottle lables, other then the old soak in soapy water & leave for a few before Brillo padding the shit out of them?

Cheers.

If you have a choice of bottles, grab the ones with the polymer labels as you don't have to soak them in hot water to dissolve the water soluble glue. Heineken labels peel right off without any residual glue.

I would love to know if there's a fast way for paper labels.

do you have access to a flame thrower by chance?

Good soak in sodium percarbonate, at least a day and they fall off with nothing more than a wipe with your hands.

Labels come in two types, Pressure and gum. The gum ones come off in water, the pressure adhesives don't.
Really hot water will soften the glue, I have had a fair bit of success using the steam wand on the coffee maker.
Give the label a good blast and they often peel of very easily.
A bit of a solvent (Acetone is great) removes any residue of adhesive very quickly.
Mark

Labels come in two types, Pressure and gum. The gum ones come off in water, the pressure adhesives don't.
Really hot water will soften the glue, I have had a fair bit of success using the steam wand on the coffee maker.
Give the label a good blast and they often peel of very easily.
A bit of a solvent (Acetone is great) removes any residue of adhesive very quickly.
Mark

@micka80 & @MHB

Cheers guys.

Are both these chems/solvs readily available?

My favorite was always to chuck a slab of coopers in the esky for the weekend, its not instant but it saves a bit of work for future brews.
Ive also heard dishwasher but I dont know how it will drain with a strainer full of paper.

Being a label printer/manufacturer we actually want the labels to stay on - so does our customers. However, a lot of the self-adhesive base stock manufacturers make their adhesives so they break down with an alkaline solution. Doesn't seem to work with synthetic labels - you need to use heat here to really soften the adhesive but for the rest it should work fine.

I tried everything, then came across this in a forum. Woolies have it most of the time and it's cheap.

works like a treat and saves a ton of time.

Orange Power Sticky Spot & Goo Dissolver removes sticky residue, glue, gum & stains from most surfaces, using renewable orange oil.

Ingredients
<50% D-Limonene (Plant derived), <15% Nonionic Surfactant (Plant derived), Orange Oil (Plant derived)

I used to fill bottles with hot water, worked 90% of the time

Latest posts

Back